Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 02-15-2010, 09:05 AM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Default Free Online Magic Tutorials

Aimed at those who make those tutorials and those who actually watch them.

Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
captboog
James A Onida

User channel on YouTube

A very well thought out and detailed video on why tutorials are bad. i agree 100 percent!
captboog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
kammagic
Banned

User channel on YouTube

Free tutorials online are like fast food. If someone wants to get healthy they will soon find out that eating fast food will not help them reach their goal. In the same way if someone wants to become a good magician they will soon find out that free tutorials are not going to help them reach their goal. With that being said free tutorials online are not bad for magic. There is more exposure today then ever and magic is more popular then ever. Through out history exposure has never hurt magic. The "Magic Revealed " shows did more good for magic then bad. They sparked interest in magic.

Ranting about free tutorials hurting magic is like ranting about fire being bad because it burns you. People quickly learn to avoid a hot flame and quickly learn that free bad tutorials are not going to make them a great magician. Exposure will never get out of hand because layman don't care to hunt down how magic works. The people who do hunt down how tricks work have an honest interest in magic and rarely use their knowledge in any evil way.
Now am I saying we should go around telling people how magic works? No, not at all. That would be like standing in front of the theater telling people how the movie ends. It would be mean. Or telling kids there is no Santa Clause. Magic has little to do with how the trick works and more to do with the illusion of magic that is created when a magician performs.
I know exactly how movies are created but I still love the illusion they create.

Being a great magician is about making your audience feel its ok not to know. Its ok to sit back and just enjoy the illusion of magic that is created.

I remember some people coming into where I work and telling me how they had just seen the magic revealed show the night before. The one on street magic. They said" We are gonna figure you out now!" I saw the show too so I preceded to do one of the tricks from the show for them. Fooled the crap out of them. They said "That's not how they did it on TV!" but it was exactly how they did it on TV. Any trick performed well and correctly will fool your audience. If people are figuring out your effects its your fault not exposures.
kammagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

This video seems so right and so evil at the same time

I've watched this before like 3 times but you sound so evil saying "You. Aren't. Talented" *mean face*
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #5
Kieran Oloughlin

I think learning magic through online tutorials is like self teaching your self an instrument. It is possible if you try hard enough but some problems can appear such as bad technique, skipping over basics and learning things wrong.

But overall if the tutorials are made by experinced magicians and and the practice is put in it is possible to become an experinced macigian
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Mark

User channel on YouTube

But those free online tutorials aren't made by experienced magicians, and whenever they are those magicians often teach things wrong because they have too much pride to share the best techniques.

For that matter, it's much better to be self-taught because you will automatically figure out what's best for you.. and it makes you a lot more creative too.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

I feel like I'm being tantalized on lmao xD
Old 02-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Mark

User channel on YouTube

You will feel like that till you stop making tuts.. and we know that that won't happen.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #9
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

you're not quite correct Mark, more like after he've deleted all his online tut and doesn't make anymore...
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #10
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

I knew it! This is a conspiracy I tell you!!!