Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
CrazyInMagic

Hey TheSecretFire! Thank you too for your thorough reply.

I think there is a difference between really caring about the art and caring about it because you profit from it. Val Valentino also ”cares” about the art as the Masked Magician. Without the art of magic, he wouldn’t be known now. Not saying or implying Mr. Miller is on that level because he isn’t at all but just giving an example of someone who was in need of more money as well and turned a blind eye to the art and ethics.

If someone tells the world the industry needs to be stopped in order for the art to survive, this person sets an ethic for himself and anyone who sees or hears him talk about it. To care about the art from then on means the industry needs to be stopped and that no one should be feeding the industry (and the thieves and exposure makers) any longer, let alone the person who has stated that all by himself. If this person then doesn’t, this is hypocritical to the max. Money really is no excuse then.

If joining the industry is a must for Mr. Miller in order to survive and pay the bills, he should have taken back those bad words he has said about the industry. Doesn’t take long to say something like ”Hey guys, sorry, I have tried to do it on my own but I really need to join the industry again in order to feed my kids. Realise this doesn’t mean I all of a sudden like and support all of the industry, but I have to thank Ellusionist for the money and opportunity. Be kind to them.”. That would also get rid of all the current Ellusionist hate that plenty of Mr. Miller’s supporters now seem to carry (the point you forgot to address).

Also I think it’s very arguable that magic isn’t one of the easiest to profit from in relation to the amount of work it requires, even when keeping the exposure scene aside and merely focussing on the magic producing. Performing is a thing on its own and no it is not easy to profit from just that, but as a magic creator and producer all you need is a bit of creativity and performance skills are handy but not even a must. If your ideas are okay enough you are set for life, can sit back a lot of the time and just need to pick up your webcam or camcorder and shoot what you have come up with and maybe send your ideas to some other production companies every now and then. Again this is not implying Mr. Miller does that, but nothing begs to differ when looking at his website and video products (I say video products because that is all Mr. Miller produces these years and I hope you agree these make a lot less effort to make than ebooks, especially in Mr. Miller’s style).

Just saying it’s really hard to tell how much and in what ways Mr. Miller cares about the art and if this changed over time or not. Surely other ”more easily profitable” professions and occupations require a lot more and harder work or at least to get to the point when they become more easily profitable. In the meantime magic performers work off their butts to make a living from what they do while most creators and producers can stay in their lazy chairs.

I hope you can see what the top post is coming from. Any other person saying one thing and doing the exact opposite loses their credibility and deserves to be in this forum, but Mr. Miller doesn’t? I believe just the anti-piracy-while-torrenting part would already be enough for that.
CrazyInMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, enduremiller, exposure, justin miller