Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Des

EDIT: I know this is long, please bear with me.

Hey, Justin, thanks for joining us here. I just wanted to give my two cents, address some (serious) concerns:

Before I begin, how about a few concrete reasons you should most certainly be included in the Magic Alert section of this forum (this is for you, too, TheSecretFire). The worst is your release of 'Ascension' on the 'BOLD Project' (I know it's not your effect, but you released it). It's a combination of 'Pughe's Pass' (more commonly known as the 'Cardini Change', which it's not, and should be credited to George Pughe) and Chad Nelson's 'Clipshift', neither of which you give any sort of credit. Not only is this completely immoral, but it also makes you a blatant liar, as it says on your website, "I always want to make sure I give credit to who credit is due." Hmmmm... that doesn't seem right. You are also guilty of false advertising in at least two different cases: not all of the effects included in the 'Merge' download can be performed with a borrowed deck and/or rubber band, and 'Cell-spension' is not completely self-contained and cannot usually be performed with a borrowed pen (see Convincing Control on Facebook). Unaccredited releases and false advertising are exactly the kind of thing the Magic Alert section is for. Anyway, here we go:

You talk (rant) a lot about how you hate the magic industry, and how you think it's ruining magic as a form of art (which is totally true). However, you never mention any specifics. Like how companies 1) release way more material than necessary, 2) use camera cuts in their trailers to make their products/performances look better/cleaner than they really are, 3) release unaccredited material, and 4) release material that's been recently released (even when they credit it, this is immoral). Those are the kinds of practices that the mainstream magic industry purports, right? The ones that are ruining magic? The ones you hate, right? And yet, you're participating in all of them. Don't believe me?
1) You have a total of 25 purchasable products, 130+ sleights, effects, routines, and concepts in all (not even including your Ellusionist releases). None of them were limited releases, all of them are still available, even your lecture notes. If you were actually helping magic (an art that depends on SECRECY and EXCLUSIVENESS), you wouldn't be releasing such an obscene amount of material, one of the biggest problems with mainstream, ultra-commercial magic companies. Then you made it worse and said this, "This project (the 'BOLD Project') is just a drop in the bucket of what I have planned to help get the art of magic back from the industry" ...
2) You're one of the worst abusers of the camera cut in the whole of the mainstream industry (because despite what you say and perhaps even think, you are a part of it). The trailers for the following effects (I kid you not)-- 'Riven', 'Decent', 'String Theory', 'LTS', 'C.A.B 2.0', 'Legend', 'Hopper' (that was a minor one, but still), 'Pieces of Me', 'Slip N Slide', 'The Creation Trilogy', 'Ecliptic', 'The Dark Principle', and '4 On Da Floor'-- all have cuts that are designed to either hide the setup of the effect, the setup for part of the effect, the setup of a sleight, the cleanup of a sleight, the cleanup of the entire effect, or cut out transitions where sleights are obviously performed. The trailers for 'WH Transpo' and 'Conviction' are even worse, as you used a cut exactly when a key sleight was performed. 'Double Stuff' and 'Last Word' don't even have trailers. This means that a large percentage (about 68%) of your trailers are not full performances of the effect/sleight you're selling, and are therefore misleading, for no other reason than to make your products look more attractive to naive consumers.
3) Already mentioned with 'Ascension'. Also, the ‘WH Transpo’ uses a combination of various age-old sleights, but you sell it like it's completely original.
4) The 'Zipper Change' is not the 'Zipper Change', it's the change Yoann F. uses in his effect 'Bruxelles', which was released earlier than the 'Zipper Change' on his collaboration DVD set 'Bluff'. Mentioning his name in the effect description doesn't give you the right to sell his move as your own under a different name. You didn't change a single thing about it.

All of this, in addition to the fact that you have been and continue to release with Ellusionist, proves that you are a shameless hypocrite, whether you know it or not, unless you can somehow convince everybody that you haven't done any of this (that would be a trick ). Now, some unrelated questions and concerns:

1) If I wanted to come across as a professional, who cares "a buttload about this art", I would abstain from using slang, swearing, and incorrect grammar, not all the time, but definitely on my website, where my consumers come to form opinions about me.
2) A question: Why on Earth would you torrent something and then pay for it? Wouldn't it make more sense to, oh, I don't know... just pay for it?
3) You talk like you make more money selling magic than you do performing it. Is that true? It seems like it, comparing your twenty five hyped-up products to your mere four performance videos, and that there is no biography, contact information, or even mention of where to go if they (your potential customers) want to book you for a gig. If this is true, it proves even further that you are just another part of the magic industry, and that all you raving against the magic industry is BS, because MAGIC IS A PERFORMANCE ART.
4) No magician should ever dream of boasting that they had created "the perfect color change" (the 'Creation Change'), or "the very best color change the art has seen to date" ('The Dark Principle', which you even claimed is superior to the 'Erdnase', 'Shapeshifter', and 'Bertram' changes). You claimed that the 'JM Count' is superior to the 'Elmsley Count', and that 'Double Stuff' is "one of the most important card moves of the 21st century". A dedicated student to the art of magic wouldn't make such vain and unfounded boasts in a million years. I understand marketing, but this is an art, not an infomercial.
Best wishes.

P.S. TheSecretFire, you don't think torrenting warrants a thread here?
And ouncesmusic, "spiteful drama"? Isn't that a bit... extreme?

Tags
behaviour, enduremiller, exposure, justin miller