Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
nico360

User channel on YouTube
Default "Think" by Shin Lim

Have you tried it? Used it?

I got it a couple of days ago, and untill now I am really happy with it. The method is really simple and I'm still blown away when I perform it ^^

I really like the fact that you absolutely don't have to touch the deck. Because some (many?) tricks need good sleight of hand and people can't figure them out but they're aware that it's sleight of hand (o really?). But everytime I used Think they were completely fooled and I always get the same reaction "What if I named like.. 18?" Haha

The only downside for me is that they can't really name ANY number. And I thought that they couldn't examin the deck but today I did it in front of a collegue, and he took the deck and watched every single card.. he didn't notice anything ^^
nico360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #2
PianothShaveck

User channel on YouTube

I like the method, and the variations of Think. I don't like the trailer, instead, because the spectator named a lucky number and for the person who watch the trailer the trick seems like real magic, because the magician in that particular case doesn't need to touch the deck and tell the spectator to do other things (without revealing too much) before dealing cards.

Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck (real name Aldo Roberto Pessolano)
PianothShaveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #3
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I have to admit that upon discovering the method I was disappointed, and indeed, the trailer makes it look like a true ACAAN but it's not. The strength and cleanness off the result depends alot on which number they choose. The trailer DID NOT reflect this accurately, only showing the best possible outcome, and hence depicted the trick to be more than it actually is in practise.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
nico360

User channel on YouTube

Yep, I agree that it's not 100% fair they filmed the best possible outcome, however I did this trick a couple of times last week, and I must say I had 2 times the best possible outcome (simply amazing) and I even had the worst possible outcome and even then they were amazed. Sometimes you need to remember you sometimes perform in front of regular people (non magic/poker/games related)
Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I think it's fine. There are better hands-off 'ACAAN's in this world, which definitely strike harder in every situation too.

Although the trailer shows the best possible outcome, it also shows the most common outcome. The performance has probably not been set up, or else I would indeed think it isn't fair. I'm pretty sure that he originally aimed at this outcome and built the rest of the routine around it (so the rest are just outs).

I was wondering (since I don't have it), for the worst outcome, does he used double-face or face/back cards (I hope you know what I mean, and putting it like that would definitely throw off anyone who doesn't know it ). I really hope face/back because then it works much better, strikes much harder and allows for a little easier solutions too.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
nico360

User channel on YouTube

It's a normal deck, I did the trick to a collegue last week, he even examined the deck and didn't notice anything
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Actually, that doesn't answer my question. Let me PM you.

I hope you had the deck checked before the effect and not afterwards?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
PianothShaveck

User channel on YouTube

The deck can be examined anytime, but the spectator may be able to find a thing that ruins the entire trick. It's not easy to spot. No double face cards, only face/back cards.

Pianoth Eakòs Shaveck (real name Aldo Roberto Pessolano)
PianothShaveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I know I know, but actually there are double face cards in case its needed. (You know the workings so you should know what I mean.) Verified by Nico360.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 PM   #10
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico360 View Post
Yep, I agree that it's not 100% fair they filmed the best possible outcome, however I did this trick a couple of times last week, and I must say I had 2 times the best possible outcome (simply amazing) and I even had the worst possible outcome and even then they were amazed. Sometimes you need to remember you sometimes perform in front of regular people (non magic/poker/games related)
Good stuff Nico. I don't doubt for a second that this trick can get great reactions. I was focusing more on the details of the advertising but there is no denying that a very strong effect can be achieved. Maybe I should give this one a go and save my judgements for later...
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote