Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Announcements > Community updates
Notices

Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #1
Admin

User channel on YouTube
Default Introducing Magic Exposure

No no, do not worry, this does not mean that magic exposure is allowed in here now. Not at all!

It just means that we will be selling magic exposing videos to some of our performance videos. This differs from tutorials because unlike tutorials the magic exposure merely gives a secret view on the performances and will not go quite as much into detail. In the exposure videos it just shows the secret and tells you what is happening, but that's really it.

This also means that they will be shorter and cheaper than most tutorials, but in relation to what you get in tutorials they will obviously be more expensive.

To prevent confusion those products will be labelled differently in the store section.

Hope you like this!
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

so... you mean you guys will have exposed view downloadables for some tricks? and you're selling them cheaper than a normal tutorial?( that sentence kinda confuse me) that's a steal compared to watching and guessing.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
that's a steal compared to watching and guessing.
If time is money, yes. But watching and guessing is usually cheaper than buying those exposure videos. But.. you at least can be absolutely sure about how it's done.

Obviously, those videos will be cheaper than actual tutorials because they won't go into detail on the tricks. I just shows you the secret with the magician telling you what's going on.

We didn't set a price yet, but it will probably be $1 for members and $1.50 for non-members.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

nice, the very last resort for the lazy guys who can't spend too much time in front of the computer.
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 05-18-2011, 08:44 PM   #5
MarkoViner

Would it matter if I said that I don't like the idea? Now no offense to anyone but I don't see the point. All of us here are magicans we would rather buy the whole effect then just the secret. Now on the contrary , this lay people will find this very amusing , because they don't care how the move is done. They just want the secret. That's my opinion
MarkoViner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoViner View Post
Would it matter if I said that I don't like the idea? Now no offense to anyone but I don't see the point. All of us here are magicans we would rather buy the whole effect then just the secret. Now on the contrary , this lay people will find this very amusing , because they don't care how the move is done. They just want the secret. That's my opinion
Actually, Marko really has a point here.

Lay people can easily spare a dollar or two for the secret, and I'd probably do it for something amazing that I want explained.

Maybe this should be reconsidered?
Old 05-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #7
Admin

User channel on YouTube

We actually already considered that but rejected it. Lay people can already find thousands of secrets on the internet and are not likely to pay for anything if they can find secrets for free. And if they would like to buy secrets, they already can do that on many websites for prices not much higher than what we ask for these exposure videos.

However, we decided to do it because it are the magicians that would like to know how our tricks are done and there are many tricks we would never make a tutorial on but would still like to share, or tricks that took a small part of our previous, limited releases and are never to be seen again if we wouldn't make those videos.

Before we released anything, we actually planned to make very open tutorials instead of extremely detailed ones so that magicians would have to make the best of it themselves, but that never happened. This is its alternative and we can promise that laymen will not be interested in it unless they are really interested in the secrets of magic and probably have bought our tutorials already too.

See it as tutorials for advanced magicians, the magician in the video telling and showing what he does and that's it. You will have to make your own thing out of it.
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
Mark

User channel on YouTube

^ +1

It's not like mismag who turned ten thousands of laymen into "magicians" or anything.. and the bigger secrets still won't be exposed.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
Kieran Oloughlin

WIll the trick be explained much so that us ourselves can work on it and be able to perfrom it and what are you thinking about exposing?
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
MarkoViner

I see the point now but still think its a bit dull... You see, me, myself I would rather buy the full effect, then just the secret. That's just how my mind works There are some people who would for example : Buy a car that is half of it's price , but not me. I like it to be new , and original. Hope you understand me...

EDIT : I was thinking maybe release a few products using this method and if we like it, then keep it
MarkoViner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:44 PM   #11
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Oloughlin View Post
WIll the trick be explained much so that us ourselves can work on it and be able to perfrom it and what are you thinking about exposing?
Yup, the tricks will be exposed enough but you will definitely have to work on them yourself to make it practical and performable.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #12
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

so what kinds of exposure videos will you guys be releasing?( new ones or old?) will the classic effects on DSZ's channel be released? the ones will it be permanently available or will you stick to the old drill and take them off after a while?
Old 05-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #13
Mark

User channel on YouTube

It will be to some upcoming videos and mayyybe to some old ones. They will probably be permanently available.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #14
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

I like this idea. This presents the opportunity for a magician to see the techniques behind accomplishing an effect, yet it does not do in depth on anything so if necessary you can put your own personal touches/moves into it. Though I can't believe I'm saying this, I do think it IS a bit inexpensive

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #15
Mark

User channel on YouTube

What price would you guys suggest? Please keep in mind it will probably just one minute of video and absolutely no details apart from a description of what's happening.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #16
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

1,000$. The secrets of Mark shall never be free.

---

Just joking. Maybe you should set the price for 2$. The secrets to your effects haven't been exposed for a while now, you shouldn't make it too cheap for just a secret door cam.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #17
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

let's see, permanently available, secrets that have been keep for long now exposed, at most 5 minutes( or much less, considering you're just showing us the sleights from an exposed angle) of pure video tape( i mean, it's not like the short videos needs editing, at most it's just fade in and fade out), additional fees( i've never uploaded anything for download, so idk what kinda fees you need to pay), i'd say about 1-2 dollars each would be enough if you just want to make people cough up money for explanations( the way it should be for those who are too lazy to find out the secrets themselves), and if our forum grows into a big one as the magic Cafe, DSZ will make more than enough to upkeep the projects.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:33 AM   #18
Kieran Oloughlin

If you do some old ones you should do...... ALL OF THEM!!! okay ebing serouis now why are you doing this, I quite like the idea but still why? Also yeah mismag has appaerntly turned many laymen into magicians but be fair some people like the cacutsboi and me started by watching so tutoirals but eventually started to purchase magic.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:32 AM   #19
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Read post 7 if you'd like to know why.

Unfortunately, there are indeed magicians who started because of free tutorials and who are doing fine but there are waaaaaaaaaaay more magicians who started like that who are doing extremely bad yet think they are doing fine.

Also, Sam (TheCactusBoi) isn't thát much into magic anymore.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 AM   #20
Kieran Oloughlin

Yeah sam does more flourishes now.. . I am learning flouishes but I dont want to become overwelmed by them and do them instead of magic but in his last video he said that he maybe perfers flourishes to magic so maybe he does more magic but less performances of them