Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > The Store > Q&A
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
Mark

User channel on YouTube

You're absolutely right and I wished that's what the world of magic would actually still be like. Unfortunately, a whole lot of magicians out there have no idea how to deal with the many, recent changes that took place. Everyone now has an own opinion and no one seems to share the same opinion anymore, making it one big mess including a lot of drama.

It's so easy for everyone to be on one and the same page, just following the ethics and laws that have already been there since the beginning and applying those to the current world of magic. However, many think they can go their own ways, creating their own ethics (f.i. publicly exposing magic) and even going against actual laws out there (f.i. false advertising). History will tell drama has always been part of the art to a certain extend, but these recent changes caused the drama to shift from personal matters to matters of public interest, matters that are actually essential for the art and that make sure the art stays what it's supposed to be.

There is a fairly small amount of magicians that actually entered the art at the same time most of those changes were taking place. You will see that both classic magicians and magicians who entered the art later have a lot more trouble making up their minds about the current world of magic. Classic magicians will usually think they need to change rather than staying with what they have been taught, the new magicians will look at what seems to be most popular, or each will just come up with their own ethics based on their own imaginations. The ones who entered the art at the right time, thankfully including myself, can actually tell that there has been absolutely no need to get rid of the classic ethics, to merely adjust these to current events, and that in the end those ethics are the only ones that would keep the art safe rather than bringing it to chaos.

Also, please realize that most of the drama you happen to see is that of magicians and magicians-only. For laymen nothing changes (or rather is not supposed to or shouldn't have changed as those magicians that went their own ways in many cases changed the art for spectators too). How magicians treat the art has really been all over the place lately, which for obvious and earlier-explained reasons cannot possibly be good for the art.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote