Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2011, 09:59 PM   #13
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Haha let me clarify

It's quiet tough to distinguish an unethical and an ethical lie, but let me try.
If the lie is part of the patter meant to entertain the spectators, I believe that's completely fine.
If the lie is part of the patter meant to one-up himself to making it seem like he has an ability he does not, then that's a bad lie, although the spectators won't be able to tell most of the time.

Let me give an example:
(Good lie): So, the card goes into the middle of the deck, but with a snap of the fingers, the card comes up to the top (like an ACR Routine)
(Bad lie): Perfect example is Toby Bromfield's Engima (falsified palming technique).

If that Engima move was used for the spectator as a patter to further enhance the trick, that's fine. We can make act like we did something sneaky all we want. That's the motive to entertain.
However, in reality, Enigma was presented as an "advanced palming technique", in which the motive behind it was to fool other magicians into thinking that he created a new move, not to simply entertain viewers.

I guess in that sense, Mark made a very good point in simply claiming that lies should be made only necessary, but that can also sound kind of vague unless clarified