Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I agree with K. Jay (Mismag) doesn't even call himself a magician for that he knows he isn't, yet most of his viewers think he's the greatest magician in the world. Those are the same people that think the goal of being a magician is to explain everything you do and thus they ask for tutorials to everything actual magicians do, or they will make such tutorials and exposure videos themselves.

I think magic didn't change that much apart from the fact there has been a massive boost of exposure, tutorials and related wannabes who tend to call themselves magicians because they all hope to have a carreer in the art someday, and to have a massive amount of subscribers because that would make them "professional". And because they figured that running contests helps in getting more subscribers too, the boost of online contests is just as massive. Pure insanity if you ask me. Seriously, work for your crowd first, then run contests... for the crowd you built earlier.

On the other hand, it shows a bigger difference between good magicians and bad magicians. The good ones (who I tend to call actual magicians) are the ones that can differentiate themselves from the rest, the bad ones (wannabes). Problem is that nowadays there are so many of the latter category who have no idea about what's good and bad, and who support each other as if they are the best and most potential magicians in the universe.

For the overall picture it doesn't matter much for those who deserve their spot as magicians. The others won't end up anywhere in the real world and if they do, their careers will eventually be shattered by society.

Those who use the internet well, use it as an addition to real life, for instance to reach a bigger audience and as marketing tool.

I have to add that I personally think that we got too many "known" magicians nowadays. You can be very popular as a magician if you are great at one particular sleight or if you made one decent creation. I don't quite agree with that but well, nothing to do about that. For me, however, you'd still not be a magician unless you show more of yourself and show you are worth being called one.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote