Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Old 03-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Default 'Blind Square' by Bizau Vasile Cristian

Let me start by saying that yes, indeed, we originally were the ones to release the 'Blind Square' (although Bizau had other ideas). This makes it impossible for me to view this in an unbiased manner. However, I am trying to be absolutely honest with you, which is also why I started the review this transparent, and I will try not to have this influence the review at all. To be sure, I have also talked with a couple of others who have bought it to be sure if they shared these thoughts or if they were just mine.

Also, I have personally witnessed the full process of the 'Blind Square' and I have seen the move evolve from one of the most magical controls into a move that feels and somewhat seems like a move for cardists (who, as you know, show skills instead of magic). Being a cardist himself, Bizau apparently thinks this was well worth being the final version, and since it is his workings he is totally allowed to think that so the rest of the review will be merely on the quality of this release on his take of the 'Blind Square' (a top control) and the 'Blind Drag' (a bottom control, something related yet entirely different than the top control although in this product it is called the 'Blind Square Bottom Control').

Let me actually start with some facts on the advertising. On the product page and in the trailer it says that you will get 25 minutes of clear instructions. However, the file is 22 minutes and 38 seconds in length and it starts with the trailer and an introduction, leaving less than 21 minutes of "clear instructions". Also, there were no credits given on the page until quite some time later. And the description may give the impression that the transpo as seen in the trailer could be done with a borrowed deck of cards (I already knew it couldn't) but I will forgive the Blue Crown for that for the reason this seems to be the result of a very unfortunate placement of this statement. However, this is not addressed within the tutorial itself at all which is quite a bad thing.

As for the instructions, these seem more like detailed exposure than that they actually teach you how to do everything in detail. It is merely mechanics, mechanics and mechanics. There is nothing on angles, no extra tips and tricks or anything like that. You do get quite a bit though: a top control, a bottom control, two transpos using just these controls, an elevator bonus (not really magical but the overall routine is pretty neat and well constructed) and a combination (two-card) control. But the lack of details may be a little more valuable than that, especially for beginner magicians.

Last but not least, there are no credits in the download at all (like I said, they were put on the product page only later, and merely to Ernest Earick for the original top control idea). At least it's something, but especially for those who bought it soon after its release it is not quite enough.

If you just want to know how everything is done, this is perfect and probably well worth the price. If you want to go out there and perform it yourself, you will have to be an intermediate or advanced magician to find your way around this and you may think that it is overpriced for what you get and expected of it. Still good to get some ideas from though, and move monkeys would love it, but then again it lacks quite a bit in instructions and honest advertising.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you've said Mark.

The bottom control looks great but is very different to the top control or the BTS. I like the bottom control and look forward to mastering it.

I feel slightly differently about the top control. I have studied the original "Bow To Stern" by Earick, and bought "High Rise" by Rick Lax, and I bought this most recent release, "Blind Square" by BCardician. I bought "Blind Square" because the trailer looks awesome and Bizau's handling looks very loose and relaxed, so I wanted to see what he is doing different. I also like the option of being able to leave the selection supposedly out-jogged as this is one thing Bizau has added.

Having watched the tutorial I like what he's added to the top control, but only as an extra option. In other word's I may use his handling but only in certain situations, and I prefer the other handlings for how clean they look. I completely agree with Mark that essentially what the main additions have done is muddy up the effect somewhat, making it slightly less magical, and more flourishey. This is fine if that suits your style, don't get me wrong, but if the aim is to make the move look as clean and magical as possible, then the additions don't actually help, and in this sense I prefer the look of "High Rise" and the original BTS by Earick because they look cleaner and leave no room for suspicion, whereas BCardicians handling does unfortunately add a little room for suspicion, where it is not necessary. The flourishey sliding back of the top cards at the end, could, to many a layman, easily give them room to think that that in itself was a "move". Why would you want to give them that room?

On a more serious note I am very disappointed with the Blue Crown's approach to crediting, (of which there is NONE at the end of the video), and the overall lack of detailed instruction on what should really be a thoroughly taught move. The teaching is brief at best, and the most important points, such as (a) finger positions and (b) angle considerations, (INCREDIBLY important points with a move such as this) were (a) barely mentioned, and (b) completely ignored! This is shocking IF the aim of the Blue Crown is to teach their products well so that they can be performed well. It is closer to an exposure video than a real tutorial. BCardician shows you HOW the move works. But I certainly wouldn't call this good teaching. This is not a dig at BCardician, who is a great guy. This criticism is aimed more at the management of the Blue Crown, who will be making the decisions about how much detail and time they want to take in their releases. This wasn't so bad for me, since I know a lot about the move already, but for a beginner approaching this move I would find it quite daunting to try to learn it to an acceptable standard using the brief overview you are given in this release.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

The main thing I felt it was lacking was nuances and minor details which would have aided in the blending of the main mechanics. It did have an "extended exposure" feel to the main sleight (similar to what Mark explained), but the additions of the other 2 make up (I felt). Also, this is just a guess, it feels you are expected to be a skillful card handler in advance and there is no given or suggested prequisite/difficulty indication.

Because of my experience from practicing "HighRise" (and learning of the BTS) I was already familiar with the similar actions. So it's not perfect, but it feels a little self working. Self working? What I mean by that last part is the convincer you have with "Blind Square" in contrast to a dribble cover one might say for "HighRise."

But now i'm curious as to the origins of this evolved control (specifically the Blind Square) and how it took course into cardistry and not pure card magic.

As for the marketing and selection of good vs bad, I really can't say much. Only that as I come to love this art more and more everyday, I'm only searching for what I understand/feel to be the most prestigious card sleights, so that I may have a personalized foundation to create my own magic around them.
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
Chili

User channel on YouTube

Guyz!!!1

dis one isnt an original guyz

i have by forces unseen and he copyd the control from proteus!!!

But he made it original by adding a spread to it!!?!?!?!?!?
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Yo Chili, did you read any of the posts above? Also check out the High Rise thread where we briefly discussed "By Forces Unseen".
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
babyte

"Blind Square" or "HighRise" they're variations of Subtle Shift.
babyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyte View Post
"Blind Square" or "HighRise" they're variations of Subtle Shift.
Absolutely false. The 'Subtle Shift' does not exist. What you are aiming at is a flat out rip-off of the 'Blind Square' as he (the guy of the 'Subtle Shift', you know who) ripped-off tons of Bizau's and other people's videos and tricks, and revealed them just for sake of gaining views and making money off of the magic creators' backs in the most unethical manner out there. He has not created a single thing himself and keeps getting credits for things what he didn't come up with himself.

I don't blame you for it though. However, I'm pretty sure that in the video description of this particular video, he ended up giving credits due to Bizau and some others complaining about it.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Des

That guy fernando, right?
I've had a ton of arguments with him, but he doesn't seem to get that it's wrong.
Mark, is he the one who said that he revealed magic because God wanted all liars and frauds to be revealed?
Des is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
That guy fernando, right?
I've had a ton of arguments with him, but he doesn't seem to get that it's wrong.
Mark, is he the one who said that he revealed magic because God wanted all liars and frauds to be revealed?
Yup and yup.