Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #32
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I think the original idea behind Theory11 was pretty good, indeed. Eleven top magicians teaching all kinds of (mainly card) magic, somewhat underground, nothing wrong with that.

However, it was hyped far too much with the whole 'What is Theory11?' thing going on before its release, which made the whole online magic community go gaga. Scratch 'underground' because it instantly turned into a marketing term instead. There was nothing underground about it apart from when it wasn't released yet.

Then, some of their artists left for the reason it went far too commercial, no control over whatever tricks they sold through the site because it ended up all over the internet for free, etcetera.

Suddenly, Theory11 had less than 11 artists and apparently Jonathan Bayme thought: "You know what, since we're not Theory11 anymore anyways, let's make it Theory10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.", all up to 44 today (and they can't even keep up with the list, their latest artists aren't on it yet). The original mentality of Theory11 seemed to have changed completely, although I reckon it's something JB has had in mind since the beginning already as he was responsible for the major hyping in the first place.

Maybe it's just the younger generation who is in charge, I dunno. It's odd to see that Jonathan Bayme and Dan and Dave pretty much have the exact same approach, all three of them being in their mid-20's. I am just glad that I'm not like that. What would masters like Marlo, Vernon, Elmsley and Jennings have thought if they would be still alive.

PS: It seems like The Wire has been in the making for much longer than 4 years. They have Yugoslavia listed as a country, but Yugoslavia broke apart about 20 years ago.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote