Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I guess the usual addition "I would like to try something." makes it alright then. Then again, I usually perform in Dutch over here, but the times I asked it to English or American people it worked out fine.

I still don't really get how saying you are a magician is any different from getting a deck of cards out of your pocket/case, atmosphere-wise that is, because the spectators still wouldn't know what exactly is going to happen. Either way all they know or think is that there will be some sort of magic coming up. I do understand some of the reasoning behind it though, but when making a deal out of it, wouldn't it be better to say "I'm the house performer. Would you like to witness something amazing?", to go with Albert's line, and to not give away the fact that any magic is coming up?

Quote:
I'm wondering if the differences in opinion between our opening lines between Johnny and Mark is due to the settings? I don't know if Mark has performed in bars and restaurants, but his opening lines would work just nicely in the streets if they see a bored potential spectator.
I have, but not so much in so called hooligan bars over here where people will start a fight over nothing. I guess I should try that someday.

Whenever I perform at bars and restaurants, I first work some crowds in the corners using that exact opening line, then I move on to the center of the place where there are people who most likely saw me going around already so usually there is absolutely no question needed to get them to work along and to enjoy the magic. And I can still keep things intimate, not that the whole place is going to circle around me because place owners usually hate that.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote