Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Indeed.

I would compare cardistry to music at anytime. It's disrespectful to pirate and to share people's originals without having permission, but doing this could only be bad for the amount of money that is made with it because the actual art remains. Classics may actually be shared for free, without permission. Also, you may cover works as long as you give credits (in case of music that would be under fair use).

Unlike flourishing and any other kind of art, magic would be ruined the moment its methods would be exposed to the public.

In case of for instance Penn & Teller, the magic exposure actually turns the art of magic into entertainment with comedy instead: no secrets, yet hard to repeat yourself without a bit of practice. In that case it's similar to dancing, juggling, acting, painting, and indeed.. also to cardistry.

Anyhow, I'm obviously a magician (and a cardician). I enjoy watching cardistry though, but I think that 95% of all magic-performing cardists completely overdo the cardistry in the magic tricks they perform. Using magic in the art of cardistry is just to make actual skills look better, but there is a moment that when you do too much flourishing, that things won't look quite as good anymore or would be extremely difficult for the audience to follow which makes the magical part completely worthless. In that case I would suggest to just not merge any magic with the flourishing at all and to keep both arts completely seperated from each other.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardician, cardicians, cardist, cardistry, cardists, extreme card manipulation, flourishes, magic, magicians, xcm