Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #1
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube
Default I need suggestions for a performance

Hey guys,

So all of a sudden, I have another performance on April 1st and I would like some suggestions on what to perform. I have a basic idea, but your contribution would be helpful.

The setting is going to be a crowded (most likely) restaurant/bar with like 40 people in a small area so I want something to be direct, visual, and effective. I don't want to perform all cards because that quickly becomes boring. I'm thinking of doing a sponge ball routine and a cups and ball routine if necessary because they are visual, but I want to go to the restaurant as lightly equipped as possible.

I'm thinking of a few simple card tricks like the ACR, some money tricks (I have audio in mind by Eric Jones, but that may not work if there's a lot of noise) or some bill tricks, and etc... hmmmmm maybe linking cigarettes will be good by Akira Fuji, but I don't smoke

Anyways, any suggestions will be great. Anything that is visual, not too time-consuming and something that needs little words for people to understand (due to the setting).

Thanks!
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Mark

User channel on YouTube

So you're looking for walk-around stuff right? Because it somewhat reads as if you would be performing everything for all of the 40 people at the same time. I got lost as soon as I read both Akira Fuji's 'Linking Cigarette' and Eric Jones' 'Audio' as both effects require a really different setting.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Haha I was getting desperate thinking about what to perform and I guess I just put audio and linking cigarettes in there

I've never performed for a crowd of 40 people in a small enclosed space. So any advice would help.

I would be performing for all 40 people at the same time and I would be completely surrounded a complete 180 degrees from the front
Old 02-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Fruglemonkey

Recap is a good routine, has A LOT of misdirection in it, and anyone that manages to follow what you're doing will laugh at how you're fooling the others.

Under the watch from "Off the cuff" is good, too.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=872
Fruglemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:44 PM   #5
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

What about Daniel Garcia's "Pressure"? It doesn't require a lot of talking, and it's pretty visual. Also, literally speaking, a balloon is kind of light! =)

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMisdirectingHand View Post
What about Daniel Garcia's "Pressure"? It doesn't require a lot of talking, and it's pretty visual. Also, literally speaking, a balloon is kind of light! =)
Yeah I like pressure, but it's just like "watch the balloon... Wow the phone's inside! It's over... " I mean that it's really too short and I don't know how to connect this trick to another to make it smooth. I really want my performance to connect if you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
Recap is a good routine, has A LOT of misdirection in it, and anyone that manages to follow what you're doing will laugh at how you're fooling the others.

Under the watch from "Off the cuff" is good, too.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=872
I'll definitely check this out.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Fruglemonkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csMlFD2ESBI

Recap performance from Off The Cuff.

Also, pressure is generally a really 'iffy' trick. The fact that you just happen to have a balloon on you, removes the impromptu part of the trick, making the audience think that maybe it's a gimmicked balloon. Smarter audiences will also know EXACTLY how it's done, leading to people saying "But... you just pushed it into the balloon...?" It doesn't flow that well, either. =/

BUT! If there's a random balloon lying around, then it's great to do it. "Oh hey, here's something you can do with a normal balloon that always amazes people..."
Old 02-11-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

Perform the clean-up and have them take it out? It's short, but maybe you can use it as an opener. Have them take out the phone by using the clean-up. It's interaction between you and the audience.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:50 AM   #9
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

First of all, will you have a table? (If yes I have a few further suggestions)
Depending on how impromptu you want it to be, do a rope trick/routine such as grandmother's necklace or knot moving (If I get around to it I'll post an amazing knot moving one I know that's completely impromptu). Also check out revolution #9 by Aaron Fisher in terms of cards. Finally, I think mentalism would be great for this sort of scenario as there are absolutely no angle issues and it plays well to larger groups (if the space isn't TOO noisy).

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 AM   #10
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Great suggestions guys, I'll look into all these rope thingy (I would be glad to see a performance of it! ) and mentalism tricks.

I think the biggest problem I have is creating a nice flowing routine. I've performed in parties and social settings in other's houses and publicly on stage, but it's my first time in a bar/restaurant setting with a crowd of people in one small place.

I would really appreciate it if you can suggest anything to help me build a powerful routine Of course, I'm not saying you should make it for me since that would be cheating
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #11
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i think the most visual stuffs would be: ropes, jumbo objects( coins, cards, canes), and the linking rubberbands( lots of versions, if you have Link by Nabil Murday, i strongly suggest you use/practice those, they rock) or linking cig would be very good, in a crowd of 40, there's bound to be at least one person with a box of cig, but if you wanna make sure, may be you could ask the waiter to hold on to a box that you brought beforehand.

there's a book on rope stuffs on google books, a simple search will show you( 70 foolproof rope tricks or something like that), i'll give you a link of one of my fave rope tricks, tho a 360 degree audience might be a bit hard... may be you could do it at the end of the room( with your back facing the wall, almost touching it):

and if you don't know how to do it... i'm pretty sure there's a tutorial on Youtube by ExpertVillage...
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Fruglemonkey

How long are you performing for? Is it a straight, non-stop performance?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruglemonkey View Post
How long are you performing for? Is it a straight, non-stop performance?
I'm thinking of performing non-stop for around 30 to 40 min. I found that anything longer usually relieves people's tensions and gets less exciting after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
i think the most visual stuffs would be: ropes, jumbo objects( coins, cards, canes), and the linking rubberbands( lots of versions, if you have Link by Nabil Murday, i strongly suggest you use/practice those, they rock) or linking cig would be very good, in a crowd of 40, there's bound to be at least one person with a box of cig, but if you wanna make sure, may be you could ask the waiter to hold on to a box that you brought beforehand.

there's a book on rope stuffs on google books, a simple search will show you( 70 foolproof rope tricks or something like that), i'll give you a link of one of my fave rope tricks, tho a 360 degree audience might be a bit hard... may be you could do it at the end of the room( with your back facing the wall, almost touching it):

and if you don't know how to do it... i'm pretty sure there's a tutorial on Youtube by ExpertVillage...
This is great! I love it. I'll go check on some old books for rope tricks, but do you know where I can specifically learn the knot that he used when he put his hand back?
Old 02-11-2011, 12:33 PM   #14
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

he simply untied the knot i think... the secret to the trick involves a bit of prep that you do behind you back before giving the people the "power" to tie you up... and i because i can get to the secret position within 1.5 seconds( the amount of time needed to turn around) from the knotted position( in case you didn't notice, that knot he tied only gets tight when pulled by 2 people, if you pull it from one end it comes undone right away). it'll be easier to imagine if you already know the secret. simply put, he did the start as a convincer, and after he turned around, the knot from the start is already undone, and everything is in position( his wrists+ the secret knot position).

if that wasn't what you were asking... i can send you a PM of the tutorial by expert village, the variation of it he was doing is described above.
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 02-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #15
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
he simply untied the knot i think... the secret to the trick involves a bit of prep that you do behind you back before giving the people the "power" to tie you up... and i because i can get to the secret position within 1.5 seconds( the amount of time needed to turn around) from the knotted position( in case you didn't notice, that knot he tied only gets tight when pulled by 2 people, if you pull it from one end it comes undone right away). it'll be easier to imagine if you already know the secret. simply put, he did the start as a convincer, and after he turned around, the knot from the start is already undone, and everything is in position( his wrists+ the secret knot position).

if that wasn't what you were asking... i can send you a PM of the tutorial by expert village, the variation of it he was doing is described above.

Thanks I would really appreciate that.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #16
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

sent ^^.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

I'm thinking of doing cataclysm. What do you think? I think I can get quite a few people involved to, which makes the mentalism that much stronger. I'm thinking of making that my closer.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #18
LittleLead
The New Guy

User channel on YouTube

Albert, check out rich ferguson. He has some awesome mentalism effects. Sorry that it took me so long lol. Im on a droid atm
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #19
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Here are the tricks I was talking about. Please note that these performances are admittedly sub-par, they are just to demonstrate the effects (though feel free to give comments anyway). Albert, if you like them, PM me for further discussion.

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:33 PM   #20
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

So I found out that the setting is most likely going to be in a ball room of a hotel. I'm not sure what the size is at the moment but there will be around 50 people.

I've never performed in a ballroom xD But I guess it really isn't much different from other party settings.

I'm planning to get some better, more professional cups and balls, a copper-tipped wand (is it copper?) and a bigger mat. Does anyone know of a good supply shop for this online?

Oh and I've been watching the Manchurian Approach on Hypnosis but haven't had any success with it with my friends the first 2 times. I don't think they took me seriously

Does anyone perform hypnosis or have any advice for me? I would appreciate it