Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Fin, I think you are missing something. The 'DPS' is one of the classic techniques and principles like a 'DL', 'Pass', and many more, that the actual creator is certainly unknown of. For all we know Erdnase is not its creator (half of the moves he published were his, or his own take on these principles, the other half aren't and the 'DPS' belongs to the latter one). And you would never have to publicly credit a technique for the reason that would give too much away about the mechanics.

In case of 'HighRise' and the 'Bow-to-Stern', Rick knew the move and principle was out there already and that it was by Ernest Earick so he should have credited Earick (not the 'Bow-to-Stern' though). There is nothing wrong with renaming it (I see some people here said so but I don't agree with that at all since this is a variation and not the same thing). It's why I had no problem with Bizau calling it the 'Blind Square' either. That said, they both would have to credit Ernest Earick, and Rick would have to credit Bizau for the reason he came up with and published this exact variation much earlier.

That is just how the magic community rolls. Back when I made 'Smooth-It' and Bill Perkins published it as the 'In Your Face' change with Vinny Marini while I was first (whether he knew about it or not, although he probably did) the very least they could have done was putting that "A similar change was also independently created by Mark Hilkemeijer" in the performance description or on the product page, which they did.

Hereby the ethics on it as copied from the Ethics of Magic thread. I think it was and still is clearly explained and it could easily be adjusted to this situation:
Quote:
Give credit where credit is due
Credits need to be given in products and to video performances. It also means that you cannot blatantly rename effects and routines. In case the original name involves a specific prop and you use another prop in your performance, you are allowed to change this part of the name so that it would suit your performance. In case the original differs from your take, you can rename it as well, but you will still have to give credits to the original creator.

Credits usually include those who came up with the techniques you use. Classic techniques without any known creators could obviously be skipped. In case it is a fully independent creation, you are allowed to say that, although doing some research is much more appreciated. If research has been done and it still appears to be an original creation, there is nothing wrong by giving credits to just yourself. However, if an earlier publication has been overlooked, a correction has to be made.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote