Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 09-03-2011, 05:16 AM   #1
ItsMagicITellYou
~Z~

User channel on YouTube
Default The Wire! Your thoughts?

I think its wonderful and brilliant. It honestly is going towards advancing magic and provoking thought. This is the kind of stuff people dreamed about, and now its so accessible! I for one, think Theory11 did a BRILLIANT job with it.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Hmmm, this program does seem interesting. Now, I can't really make a comment on it until I see the kind of things 'non-professional' magicians will actually contribute. Then I can see just how seriously they take magic. If Theory 11 releases something like the Brick Pass through this program, I will seriously doubt it's efficiency.

Let's see how well they can take this program

Although... since I'm not a big fan of Theory 11, I might be a bit critical of it
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I have mixed feelings about it. Basically, it's just a secondary store, yet with charts and probably less filtering going on.

Online magic sellers like T11, Ellusionist, The Blue Crown and such have always been giving people a chance to submit their creations (we do too yet people haven't used it yet, probably because it's slightly more hidden). The Wire isn't any different, apart that it is more public.

I just hope they will still keep filtering everything on a high level because else it will be a mess like never before. I can see them decide to filter less as they keep 40% of all profits themselves. More tricks = more money.

It does definitely look good though. That is, if ignoring all the flaws (which I hope they will solve soon).
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Definitely worth keeping an eye on and if it ends up producing just a handful of good releases then I'm all for it. But for now I'm afraid you'll have to wait guys and gals. Findini's "The Average Pass" won't be due for release for at least another couple of years.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

hmmm, the idea itself sounds very interesting, but knowing the quality of some of the effects and the handling of the people around the world( who, if they were like me before, would be overconfident with themselves, and submit completely bad to lukewarm stuffs), i can't wait to see how this will turn out.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Kelan
kittydakat

I despise theory 11, but it's still a pretty good idea.
Kelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I wonder why it actually took four years to set up though. It's not thát much of a big thing. And.. I'm officially going to say that I find it a bad thing, possibly even the worst thing to happen to the art (yes, indeed, I just said that). Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Mueller on the Insider
The Wire is very much like the iTunes of magic downloads: whether it's good or bad, as long as it's original, it will get posted.
So the filtering will be way crappy. It will be mainly about the video and audio content being original so that they are legally allowed to publish it.
Old 09-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
MeandmagiC

User channel on YouTube

sounds like a big commercial based, rubbish thing to me.
it its gonna work, its gonna work for 2 months, then everybody leaves it, or there will be many rubbish videos on it, causing an overflow, and losing the logic in it. they need to come up with a superawesome browsing system that will never fail, because they will not end up "feeding" you, but people will end up "feeding" them, with videos. So it is all gonna end up in one big mess where you search for an original, well-performed idea or concept.

my question is though, is there a quality check? (maybe by Theory11? I am not saying they can check REAL quality )
otherwise, you may end up paying ten bucks for some rubbish :O

Off topic:
http://www.theory11.com/wire/calen-morelli/scribble-30/

with rubbish, I mean something like this.... come on, I thought of that when I got my first w**** xD
MeandmagiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:43 PM   #9
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeandmagiC View Post
my question is though, is there a quality check? (maybe by Theory11? I am not saying they can check REAL quality )
otherwise, you may end up paying ten bucks for some rubbish :O
There is not. You can set the price yourself to whatever you like. Sure they might tell you that it doesn't seem worth it but if you want to have it published, they will... unless there is a legal reason not to. That is, according to what Zach said in this week's Insider.

I think that if people feel the need to sell crap, you should have them do that themselves rather than supporting them in doing so.

Quote:
Off topic:
http://www.theory11.com/wire/calen-morelli/scribble-30/

with rubbish, I mean something like this.... come on, I thought of that when I got my first w**** xD
Rick Merrill won't be happy with that product. It's something he does all the time.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
MeandmagiC

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Rick Merrill won't be happy with that product and he has all reasons to not be happy with it. It's something he does all the time.
ah well, knowing the secret is one thing, performing it well is another :P
I think this is something everyone can come up with,
did Rick sell it?
Old 09-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
ItsMagicITellYou
~Z~

User channel on YouTube

but it took them 4 years [apparently] to develop this. they would have thought of all the flaws and issues and thats probably why it took so long to come to fruition. Obiv its not gonna be perfect, but i think it has a really good chance.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #12
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
ah well, knowing the secret is one thing, performing it well is another :P
I think this is something everyone can come up with,
did Rick sell it?
Rick basically won the FISM with it (he didn't put this particular effect in the FISM-routine but I know he has performed it and all the required techniques were still used in the FISM-routine). He didn't sell it but he still performs it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMagicITellYou View Post
but it took them 4 years [apparently] to develop this. they would have thought of all the flaws and issues and thats probably why it took so long to come to fruition. Obiv its not gonna be perfect, but i think it has a really good chance.
For four years of development, there still are some major flaws that need to be sorted out, i.e. the big 'Search for an Artist'-bar. Seems like they should've waited another year, lol.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
MeandmagiC

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
For four years of development, there still are some major flaws that need to be sorted out, i.e. the big 'Search for an Artist'-bar. Seems like they should've waited another year, lol.
Yes indeed,
I tried to search for names, but it seems you nneed to fill in his/her complete name!
that is really useless, its not a search engine, its a find engine....
Old 09-04-2011, 01:18 AM   #14
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Well, after a bit more research, I've found out that The Wire wasn't simply a bigger and more public promotion to the concept of 'submit-a-trick' open to the public. This really does suit the name of the iTunes of Magic.

I personally really don't like this idea now. Now, Theory11 isn't just public, it truly is commercializing magic for pure profit as they get 40% of the profit of each sale. Especially since they are going to approve of all tricks,
Quote:
Originally Posted by T11 Zach
whether it's good or bad, as long as it's original, it will get posted.
How awesome! T11 doesn't do much work and it allows poor suckers to buy the trick and get money off of it. If that's not going commercial, if that's not manipulating the art's great secrets for profit, what is? It can have the worst method only good for the camera, be original, and be put up as $20. Suckers will fall for that.

Also, reminder about its rating system. Regardless of if one buys a trick or not, one can still rate it. What does that say? 1 person who submits a trick and gets an approval can get 30 of his friends to go and like the trick (or a 5 star review) and Ta-Dah! It's a wonderful trick now! So many people will buy it thinking that it's great. This is just like the YouTube bot situation. The bots favourite random stupid videos, people think that the channel is great, subscribe more, and those channel owners get profit. This is what one can truly call manipulation of their products, of their customers, and of the industry, being one of the biggest representatives of online magic.

Well, I can't finalize on any thoughts until later on, but that's how I see it.
Old 09-04-2011, 05:08 AM   #15
Kayne

User channel on YouTube

Hmm, It seems the wire has only known theory 11 artists posting their videos on there. Like Blake Vogt, Calen Morelli, Andrei Jikh. Don't see many other people.
Kayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:20 AM   #16
Kieran Oloughlin

I think it is a wonderful idea, it would be a good way for the magicians all over the world who DESERVE to be known who dont. I think there should be a resonable filtering system so that one doesnt have to go through pages of rubbish. There should also be the option of posting a review and rating ech product so when searching you can choose form a menu of terrible, bad, alright, good, great, and how did you do that! as well as an option to look at recent ones which are not catogorised yet.

Also I am concerned about the tutorial levels, because these will be homemade videos the tutoirlas could be terrible and you could get no where after paying money for a good effect. (This happened to me after I bought Cris's falling elevator)
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 05:24 AM   #17
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

for now, even if i want to, i can't go through pages of garbage... having a hard time looking for a way to open the list of effects( i only see the 4 newest and the 5 most popular)
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 09-04-2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayne View Post
Hmm, It seems the wire has only known theory 11 artists posting their videos on there. Like Blake Vogt, Calen Morelli, Andrei Jikh. Don't see many other people.
Don't forget that the Wire was only released very recently. Each of those products were submitted before the Wire went live, so obviously it only has T11 artists and some close friends so far. This will definitely change though. Hopefully T11 is sorting out its filtering, because the "whether it's good or bad, as long as it's original, it will get posted"-filter will definitely be making a mess of the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran Oloughlin View Post
There should also be the option of posting a review and rating ech product so when searching you can choose form a menu of terrible, bad, alright, good, great, and how did you do that! as well as an option to look at recent ones which are not catogorised yet.
Those options are already there (although the latter one still is a bit bugged).
Old 09-05-2011, 01:02 AM   #19
Kayne

User channel on YouTube

Pfft, It is going to be hilarious watching all of these horrible variations uploaded into the wire and such. Magic has been nearly sucked dry to the bone with all this public market tricks it is all now just REALLY small variations or just pointless sleights that actually are just.. stupid. Closest thing you will get to originality is Darksleightz of course.
As said before, T11 is only doing this for the money. They barely care about the actual art anymore.
The magicians code is dead. For a while now :S
I'm going to have fun watching most of the amateur variations posted onto T11. Emphasis on variations :P.
Kayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

yeah, very little people follow the code anymore... magic is publicly reviewed, and there's no stopping it, the art is close to death now, and many many companies are trying to kill it off completely