Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Yes, there's a difference between the Ego, Cardini, and even Pughe's pass (which looks very similar). They are all apparently independently created. What I will explain may have some flaws:

1) Ego change: Garcia's version of it which is silent and uses mainly the index finger and thumb to hold onto the deck while doing the change. This one mainly requires a rotation of the deck to clean up mostly due to the way the deck is held. Found in Garcia's Project Volume 1

2) Cardini Snap Change: As taught correctly, I assume, from Michael Ammar's books and DVDs called The Magic of Michael Ammar, the Cardini actually uses the ring finger to enter into a large break before doing the change.

3) Pughe's Pass: This one (I do not currently know of the origin) is what most people claim to be the Cardini Change. This one is done in a mechanics grip, different than the Ego change. The cleanup is also different, where this one does not need an all around square up. As the name suggests, this was normally used as a pass of one card I believe, not a change.

Like always, distortion happens in magic, and a lot too. Hope this helps

If I made a mistake anywhere, please feel free to correct me.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote