Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Lounge > General Discussions
Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube
Default Is this a stupid question?

If it is just tell me straight up.

Why does there have to be such extreme constant moment when people are presenting themselves professionally or officially?

I understand the whole 'prestige' and 'illusionist' concept, but like for example how you guys always exploit people or when you yourselves make an "official" clip. Its all so climatic from the beggining to end and extra mysterious and what not.

Is that a stupid question? Is the point of any form of "illusion" or "magic"?

Is there more???
Old 11-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

If I understand your question correctly, it's most likely done to seem professional. Professionals are generally seen as the expert at the field who knows what they are doing. They have a reputation amongst people (imaginary reputation or really perceived reputation) and people are more ready to accept what you will do.

Thus, if you approach a person in the streets calling yourself a professional magician, they won't think "oh he's going to do a typical card trick", but rather "wow, I'm ready to be impressed".

Does that answer the question?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #3
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Hey Red can you elaborate more because honestly I don't understand your questions? What do you want to know? And what do you mean when you say "How you guys always exploit people?" - do you mean the people in this forum or magicians in general?
What do you mean by "extreme constant moment"?
Old 11-17-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

Albert kinda was hitting the topic, and I think he understand my references, so Tommy, when you go to a trick video, like a pro-looking transpo or if someone wants to introduce a trick or whatnot, the music and the atmosphere, with the talking is simply so extravagant.

[and I mean the videos and presentations Ive seen when I talk about people and/or magicians in the forum + about every other awesome magic trick Ive seen]

Ill post a vid of what im talking about and how it appears to me.

And Albert, is that really it? Is all of this struggle just to impress people? To see their faces as they truly believe what you have done, or for you to continue to have a whim about yourself?
Old 11-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetophatfirm View Post
And Albert, is that really it? Is all of this struggle just to impress people? To see their faces as they truly believe what you have done, or for you to continue to have a whim about yourself?
I guess it's a bit of both for me. You definitely don't want to approach someone acting or looking like a slob. That's where the psychology of first impression really takes place in my opinion. However, by acting or looking completely opposite of your capabilities, that could turn out to produce a better outcome sometimes since people don't expect it as well.

Ultimately, I don't want to personally approach someone too professionally. It's too stiff and sometimes intimidating. As long as I can hold a good attitude and posture with decent clothing and good hygiene, that's more than enough to make people at least listen to what you say. If they are interested, they will stay and they will feel comfortable with my company.

Also, most people get greater confidence with better clothing or hair cuts or whatever makes them feel good about themselves. That's why being more professional, than not, adds to your self-esteem in my opinion. That leads to impressing people.

So: Professional (or clean looking) => You feel confident => People will be more attentive => Greater chance of impressing others => You feel good for making their day too
Old 11-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

hmmm, interesting way of focusing my question Albert.

Thank you

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:40 PM ----------

[Albert again] and Tommy

and whoever else

Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
theheron

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

Well, sometimes the music used is a little too erm... "epic" in some videos that I've seen, and admittedly I've done that too, but I think if it's a trick that speaks for itself, and no talking is required, music helps make the vid a little less boring. Mark's, Albert's and Mr. Bourke's vids, just as examples, all usually have some kind of music to them, the songs aren't overbearing, but they do fit the mood of what is going on.
theheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:34 PM   #8
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

all that trouble IS just to impress other people, rather, it's a way to make yourself look better in the eyes of others, and when that happens, opportunities are bound to appear for you. plus, being professional-looking gives you a psychology advantage over yourself, i mean, common sense tells us to always dress up for an occasion, and that means a bit of music, or editing gives a video a coating, to boost the quality that the video seemingly have( and to a larger extend, you yourself have)
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Hey Red, I've asked myself the same question lots of times, and personally I've always been fond of close-up magic since I was a kid, and although there have been periods of time where I never handled cards or coins at all, it's always been with me. I have other hobbies like drawing, writing and I even played guitar in a band once, but I see magic as something you can do up until the day you die. I rarely show people what I do, which is kind of sad, so I guess at the moment or until I can put together something decent enough (PATTER-wise), I'll just stick to practicing because I enjoy it.
Music and magic I find quite annoying because what appeals to me is not grand illusions but close-up mini miracles in a pub setting. Yes I agree that some magicians can be pretty cheesy. As for the mystery and extravagance, I think for an art that is based on secrets, this explains it self. What do you think?
Old 11-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #10
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

hmm,

For myself right now, I would have to say that this art for myself is more of a "line-maker" or for more direct term a segregator. But not in the a segregated form.

I first started serious magic with props. Basic thumbtip and spongeballs and from there I would find little tricks and cute toys to put people in a hold. And this form of presentation is still how I do my card tricks.

You know your pub setting? how that atmosphere reacts with you and it makes the setting righteous for you to perform?

my atmosphere is at like raves, and house parties; where people do things to feel extreme and the thoughts they have in their personalities can go dark. So when I do a vanishing effect, or I produce little things from my hands and their pockets and what not, the effect I always try to leave off is either that they have control over something that I can channel, or that I am the control and they will never know why.

Its actually something quite morally selfish, but its a very powerful way that I do my magic, its why some people actually consider me a good magician, because of the psychological effect I can place on people. And at first thats what I thought magic is: Separating yourself from a crowd and when you leave, the crowd cannot comprehend why you were never apart of it to begin with.

Stuff like that. But over here, where this is a "community" of magicians and I actually can learn something its so different. Everything is calm and a joke, and even though we put soul into our work, its a neutral sharing.

That's why I asked this question, because its so different than how I was first introduced it. it = magicianhood
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, from the way you said what you did, and if you are able to pull it off, you have enough social skills and manipulation skills to call yourself a good magician. all you need now is secrets, when you know the secrets, you can use the skills you already have to make what was just "secrets" into "Art".
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote