Notices

Old 11-26-2011, 02:23 AM   #1
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
I kind of understand what idea you are trying to put across but it's a very twisted logic. The part where you say: "people seeing the trailer, not buying the product", should stop right there. I thinks it more likely that the person not buying the product doesn't like the look of the move, not because of the lack of crediting.
I'm extremely confused at your question because I'm NOT saying that one shouldn't buy tricks because they don't put credits on the product page. I never said and never will say that because that's stupid.

Just so that you won't be confused, I'll try to make it as clear as possible: I'm saying that credits due should be given on the products page, not hidden or deleted. This has NOTHING to do with one buying the product or not. I'm concerned for people who mistakenly learn the credits of a move with an older origin wrongly and this happens for those who don't buy the product because they don't have access to the credits (at least for most people). There's no twisted logic there. Crediting someone due and teaching people the correct history of it is respect towards the original creators or contributors.

The "people seeing the trailer, not buying the product" is a scenario where misinformation is commonly occurred. That's why I gave that example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal
I think it's important too that people learn their sleights correctly - and I'm sure that by what Fin says, when someone buys the method to "High Rise", they will learn it correctly.
Going off track again
I never disagreed with this and me doing so will be hypocritical and stupid. Learning moves correctly is what my whole channel is about. There is a humongous confusion right now on what the real topic of concern is. This is a completely different matter that entered the thread here for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal
Another question.
Out of the following, which would you say is more important or more of a concern to your future personal success as a magician, not to the history of magic as an art form:

[1] Magic companies giving the right credit where it is due and where necessary.
[2] Cheap exposure in general.

I know it's kind of off topic but still relative nonetheless.
For my personal success as a magician, I would say number 1: right credits.

With the correct credits readily available, it does 3 things beneficial to me:
(1) I would be able to find the correct sources of origin if I was really interested, it would provide me with correct and better knowledge for future references to help people out, and learn the moves from the original sources, which could be an extremely valuable learning experience.
(2) Only those who are ready to spend time and effort into learning the secrets of a trick will search for the sources. In other words, laymen wouldn't bother further into going into the history of magic because that's boring for them. That way, exposure isn't as readily available and the art would still be relatively well hidden from laymen.
(3) If people learn the correct sources, I could learn about it from another if I know it differently. For example, I recently purchased Shin Lim's Splice from Vanishing Inc. to see the various applications he had come up with the move. In there, he gives references to the wrong moves/credits regarding Splice, and the most commonly mistaken credits at that. Even through video purchases, wrong credits were given, which was terrible in my opinion in one's learning experience. If I was new at magic and learned Splice's credits wrongly, at least someone who knew better could then help me out in the future, right?