Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheron
hey guys, thought i'd share this.. it may give you a good veiw on deception and lying in tricks.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvXqX...ture=autoshare
Great link. I seen it before but I don't really agree with everything Marco said. Basically he says magic is self-deception, but that would mean the magician should shut up during his performance or at least not say anything about what seems to be happening.

But I fully agree that magicians do what people expect from them. This is also why I would support all psychics (even fake ones) as long as they don't do any harm, because they do what people expect them to do. If you would take all fake psychics down, you are not just exposing them, you are messing with people their beliefs which could end up really bad and much worse than those non-harmful psychics would have things end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokk
The reason why Chris Angels stooge-tricks seems lame is not simply beacuse he is lying, but because it is so easily seen through. Just think of it. Suppose he told a person to think of a number between one and a million and guess it correctly! Imagine if you would NOT think that the spectator is a stooge (but he is!). That would be a totaly amazing effect! Not very tecnically advanced, but as always: the simplest tricks are often the best.
Criss' tricks seem lame to us, but many think he's the very best magician on this planet. It would have worked if he wouldn't have said anything about not using camera trickery or stooges, and magicians would have actually liked him a lot more because he wouldn't be lying for no reason. It's like saying "I don't use a Double Lift", there just is no reason to say that to your spectators.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote