Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13zeTheDay View Post

Finally, @Mark- What qualifies as over-commercial for you? you seem to have listed most of the magic sellers out there. I understand many are out there not just to produce good magic and to overhype/market effects you'll never use, however most of the ones you listed are also great resources for genuinely good magic (if you sift through the bad stuff)
Although you aren't talking to me, let me have a go at it at explaining what I think Mark wanted to say.

When I think of overly-commercial, I think of these magic sellers due to two reasons:
1) Taking an old existing move and renaming the move. That's just completely ridiculous. Although they do not say it's a new move, to the beginners out there who are not yet knowledgeable enough, it implies a completely different move from the jiggle pass. You must take a another approach at looking at this. Imagine a guy who learned the pass from Jason England, only to have downloaded this to find out it was the exact same thing Jason taught in his pass tutorial. It would have been a waste of money. Videos that build foundations are completely fine; it's just those videos that claim to be "new". To us magicians, it's like lying.
2) They sell moves that may just not be practical at all in real life. I personally believe that techniques or tricks that have no live practicality are not very good investments. Maybe an example of that is the VCR change. There's nothing wrong with it; I just don't think it's completely the best approach to get magic known out there. Personally, those camera-only effects kind of kill the "child's fantasies" of magic being real when they realize it can't be done live.
People are trying too hard to just sell something that looks good, but in fact, may not be.

Tags
alex, brick, pandrea, pass, thebluecrown