Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Default Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
Actually very few amateurs "know how it works" There is a night a day difference between performing in front of strangers on a day to day basis and performing for your webcam at home. I have plenty of friends that I listen to that are actual performers. They "know how it works". If a working pro has a problem they will know by audiences reactions and they will know how to fix it themselves.

Let me talk a little about this. The most important time for a magician not to listen to other amateur magicians is in the beginning. Your fellow magicians are always going to tell you that move isn't good enough or I saw you flash or I know what you did. This is terribly disheartening. Many young magicians will never think they are good enough and never take the step to working in front of people. It's important to find a mentor who actually is working or has worked in the real world to listen to. I remember one of the first things my mentor told me was you are better off staying away from clubs and contests. The majority of guys who join a club that is where they will stay. They will never become professional and never move forward. They will get obsessed with always having to fool their magician friends. This creates terrible bad attitudes and bad habits in young magicians. The things that fool magicians are usually very boring to layman and the good layman effects rarely fool magicians. So you will be heading the wrong direction hanging around other magicians. I'm not saying never do it. just keep it to a minimum. I only joined my first club 3 years ago and its only because now I am at a level where I am not influenced by other magicians. But the club I am in is mainly guys I took classes with some twenty years ago so we are all good friends and have good attitudes about magic.
I agree that magic clubs may be where you'll stay for the rest of your life if you don't take time to go out there on your own. But to not listen to other amateur magicians is absolutely hilarious. I don't know what amateur magicians you have had to deal in your past if any at all but nowadays amateur magicians are only commenting extremely positive on each other rather than extremely negative and causing sorts of traumas.

Quote:
Its funny when you reach the pro level the only people who try to criticize you or tell you what to do are the amateurs.. Your other pro friends would never do that. But there is a lot of advice shared amongst Pros its just that we ask each other for advice.
You never confirmed if everyone who has been giving you criticism actually was an amateur. You only assume that. You also assume that I am an amateur magician which is much more of an insult than anything Richard said about you. Instead of getting all upset about it I just laugh it away.

The fact that your professional magician friends would never criticize you is one of the reasons why there is a huge gap between amateurs plus potentional ones and professional magicians plus those who think they are professional and somehow got accepted to this group. You can see it at every magic forum out there. It's all about the elite members. Some very potentional amateur magicians who skillwise may be better than many of the pros will get rejected.

It's funny to see that there is some sort of code that professional magicians never give bad comments to each other. Of course their comments may still be honest but that fact makes it extremely doubtful. Thank God there are forums made by amateur magicians who actually give their honest opinions on effects. Every now and then even professionals join these forums just for the sake of getting the most honest feedback possible.

Quote:
This is a pure insult but has already been talked about and proven not to be a lie.
Richard actually proved you very wrong on this.

Quote:
Good Grief. I guess every pro on the planet is ruining magic then. I make my living from magic. That is very hard to do. you have to get money where ever you can. I took the commercial highway? …no I took the professional highway.
Maybe if you would understand Marketing 101 better it would not be so hard to make a living from it. How come we can make more than enough with it without performing full-time like you do? Cultural difference?

Quote:
This is another insult claiming that I somehow fool my clients into thinking I am better then I am. As a grown up I make my own decisions. I would expect most people are the same way.They are not influenced by the comments. They watch the video or watch me live and decide for themselves.
By removing feedback and by approving just the comments you like you made yourself look better than you are. There is nothing to be said against that. Of course there may be some people like you but as soon as there is a single person that thinks differently you do make yourself look better. Let alone if there are more like in your case.

Quote:
More insults, apparently because I remove bad comments from my videos I am no longer a respected magician. It also insinuates that I am not honest. I am completely within my rights to approve whatever comments I want on my videos. Its like saying that your neighbor is dishonest because he only puts out the good Christmas lights and the ones he disapproves of he keeps in the basement.
He never said that you aren't respected. He said that you could be more respected or "most respected" if you would allow both positive and negative feedback and if you'd be honest to yourself and to the rest of the world. Definitely no insults right there.

Solved.

Quote:
Gee thanks!
No problem.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote