Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Theatre > In The Streets > Card magic
Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube
Default CRITICISM PLEASE! An opportunity to make me cry!

Hello friends, I don't think enough people post performance videos here! So I'm going to link my 3 new ones and FORCE you all to give me your honest opinions and criticism on each and every one of them! Of course I'll gladly return the time and comment/criticize on other people's videos too! It's a two way street! Tell me what you guys think!

MAGIC TUNNEL:

ERDNASE CHANGE:

CARD CONTROL:

For the control, I had already used the move for different applications before I had seen Tommy's control video, so it isn't a rip off but I do want to thank Tommy's performance that inspired me to make this video as well! <3 Thanks guys, and remember I'm always here to give my thoughts on your videos as well! Thanks! I really appreciate it!

I'M A STUPID DINOSAUR!
Travmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #2
MarkoViner

Watched all, it was very entertaining.
MarkoViner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I like the magic tunnel. The control looks super natural and I doubt any layman would be able to work it out since its very well covered and smoothly done.

I love the erdnase change. You do it very smoothly. I hate it when you can see the top card being OBVIOUSLY pushed forward. Many people do it like that as if its ok, but I think hiding/covering that part of the setup makes the change so much smoother and more deceptive. Maybe you could minimise the waving just a little which would make the final change a bit more "open", instant and visible? Although in saying that, the slow, multiple wave you do has it's place and is still very magical

The card control was my least favourite of the 3, but still very impressive. I pick it out though because although I don't think I've heard of the control before I could work it out instantly. Just a bit more subtlety on the replacement I think would help fix this.

Keep up the great work dude. I hope you are proud of yourself; this is great stuff!
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

the magic tunnel one was as good as ever, erdnase change is...well... not as good as it could be( like Fin said, pushing up is too obvious). too bad i don't have much else to say
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
Fin

User channel on YouTube

You misunderstood me la0o9. I was saying the opposite; that in Travis's case it was NOT obvious. I don't like the look of it when (as some people choose to perform it) the card IS blatantly pushed forward before the move even starts, as if there's a good reason to be randomly pushing a card forward. But Travis does not do this; he blends it in with the waving movement and the patter. It was great
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Kieran Oloughlin

All of them where great
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM   #7
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

ok... what i said meant that i think his pushing up the card was a bit obvious, i learnt from my friends that if you use the other method to push the card up( this is... insanely hard to explain with words... and even if i take the time to do so, i think it would still be a waste since it's not likely that you'll understand it), it would be much better. i could try and show you... if you actually need it...
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 07-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #8
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

User channel on YouTube

Thanks for the feedback! However, personally I don't think the card being pushed forward is even noticeable. But that is just my opinion, and in no way am I saying that you're wrong. There is ALWAYS room for improvement. That being said, I don't think the card being pushed forward is noticeable at all, and I can't even tell that it is being pushed back to square up with the deck. And I'm not sure of the other method you're talking about unless you're referring to the one that Albert teaches in the Repulse download. But of course my opinion is biased since I'm talking about my own performance. Thanks for the advice, and of course I'm still working on making it smoother!
Old 07-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

My fave was your erdnase change. Smooth action and funny patter combined to make a nice perfomance. Two thumbs up.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:31 AM   #10
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

So here we go:

1) Magic Tunnel :: Great job. The Do***e was well handled and it looked and seemed singular. The patter was amusing, which I really like about your performances. The intonation really adds to the patter, so props to you on that
The Repulse can be improved on, however. At the moment, it looks fine, no doubt. But angle-wise, it won't be very practical if the hand stays still like that. I'm sure you know yourself what needs to be worked on more

2) Erdnase Change :: Once again, great patter and very amusing. My suggestion is that when doing the pu**ing action, make sure your fingers are not so stiff. At the moment, it seems obvious that your hand is doing something sneaky because you hand is frozen stiff and moving as a whole. You can also perform less of the wave, in which I think would improve the effect to look better.

3) Card Control :: I have some mixed feelings about this one. There were good parts and a bit awkward parts (but mostly from the POV of a magician). The replacement was well done since that small wave of the hand to perform it just looks like you were adding a "magical" gesture. However, my only mixed feelings about this one is, if you were going to replace the card into the middle anyways, why take the card out from the middle? That is somewhat of a give-away on the fact that you did something sneaky, but not exactly what you did. So at this point, what you can do is try and come up with a method which makes a bit more sense

Overall, great job Trav! Trying to get me into trouble again, huh?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #11
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

User channel on YouTube

@Albert: I agree with your comments on the Repulse! I very much so noticed what I was doing wrong. And also yeah I was tempting you/trying to get you into trouble but didn't work. damn!

@Tommy: Thanks for the kind words sir, I really appreciate it!

@Everyone: Thanks for the advice everyone I take it to heart to improve for my future performances and I'm glad the overall consensus was good! And I'm happy you guys like the patter, I try to make it funny!
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 AM   #12
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
However, my only mixed feelings about this one is, if you were going to replace the card into the middle anyways, why take the card out from the middle? That is somewhat of a give-away on the fact that you did something sneaky, but not exactly what you did. So at this point, what you can do is try and come up with a method which makes a bit more sense
i have a suggestion for that particular part, try the spin doctor double( dan and dave's, taught on their trick Tivo 2.0 on the "Tricks" DVD), it puts the card in almost the perfect position for that particular control.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 AM   #13
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

User channel on YouTube

Thanks, I have that DVD so it should be nice to pursue that!
Old 07-18-2011, 06:04 AM   #14
Kieran Oloughlin

Yeah learn the center double taught ont tivo 2.0, thats a good one. I dont use it much anymore because I came up with my own, which in my opinion looks more natrual and is also a little firmer so the cards wont seperate even if the cards being used are bad quality
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

really now? now i'm curious. Please show us when you have the time( use it in a trick... preferably...)
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #16
spafruit1

Nice card control
spafruit1 is offline   Reply With Quote