Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #1
kammagic
Banned

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Is it me or are there a lot of contradictions in what you just said?

About half of the people who watched the video and voted apparently didn't like the video. These votes represent the viewer's opinion. Usually the comments do that as well but these are manipulated because of the filtering.

If you don't look at comments you can't approve or disapprove them either. It would save you a lot of time if you would disable the comments and ratings because you think they are worthless.

I myself see them as a tell if something is good or not. If almost half of the voters disliked my video, I obviously didn't do a good job. If you still think that it's a good video, you will never learn till someone with 40 years of experience walks up to you and tells you about it. But the majority of those magicians isn't even active on the internet.
Most people don't even think to vote. They may have loved the video but just didn't bother to vote. I never vote on videos. You could have 1000 people view a video. If 40 people vote 20 good 20 bad it doesn't tell you anything. Because you don't know what the other 960 people thought that didn't vote!
I don't need YouTube ratings to know I'm a good performer. I know I am because I get paid very well, my audiences love what I do. The video of mine that got 20 good and 20 bad votes is a great video I don't need the votes to tell me that. The video was difficult to film. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

What contradictions did I make? I think you simply misunderstood. When I said I don't look at comments or ratings I was talking about videos that I watch of other people. I don't judge their video by their comments or ratings. I watch the video and decide for myself. The only way that votes would matter is if everyone that viewed had to vote. Most people don't even know you can.

As far as cultural differences go I have only talked with you and Rich and you are both from the Netherlands. I found certain comments insulting and Rich didn't think they were. So there certainly could be some cultural differences there.

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Jonathan, I would like to quote something from Marketing 101. Apparently you are familiar with this but I don't think you got it. It's what Marketing 101 starts off with:

"Most people mistakenly identify marketing with selling and promotion only. While selling and promoting are a part of marketing, they are not the most important part."

I bet you that you could place yourself much more effectively on the online market if you'd change your current strategies and handle things differently. This would get you less haters and more costumers. In Web 2.0, haters are the thing companies and individuals want the least because they could draw back costumers and potential ones from buying your products.

Costumers aren't only those who pay you for what you do, it is everyone who makes use of your services. Watching your videos and commenting to them is part of that. Eventually they may buy something from you but your current strategies doesn't help with that.

Just trying to help.
Mark,

I'm doing just fine. I make very good money. My tutorials sell very well. I'm very happy with my success. It's funny that you think you need to help me.
I'm seeing a pattern here. You guys just seem to enjoy telling people what to do. That's pretty much what all your posts are. It would be understandable if you guys were an authority on something.

---------- Post added at 08:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeandmagiC View Post
ok, wait a minute, you set great store by marketing but you do not listen to your customers?????

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

it is not only you, i see them too
Well I'm listening. What are they?

---------- Post added at 08:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Mark,

Marketing 101 is an expression it doesn't mean the actual text. It simply refers to basic marketing. Its common in USA to just put "101" after something when you mean it is a basic principal of that subject. "Oh that's Bowling 101" would be referring to a basic rule of bowling. A rule everyone should know. Understand?

---------- Post added at 09:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeandmagiC View Post
ok, wait a minute, you set great store by marketing but you do not listen to your customers?????

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

it is not only you, i see them too

What does "you set great store by marketing" mean?
Your English is not correct.
When did I say I don't listen to my customers? I get feedback on my tutorials all the time. Always positive. I also get feedback from my audiences all the time. Always positive.

What I said is ...I don't look at the comments and ratings of other peoples videos. I decide wether their video is good by watching it. Their ratings and comments do not influence my decision. This is how most people view videos that I know.
kammagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #2
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
What I said is ...I don't look at the comments and ratings of other peoples videos. I decide wether their video is good by watching it. Their ratings and comments do not influence my decision. This is how most people view videos that I know.
I understood what you meant the first time you said this. When I'm on Youtube I just watch the vids, and sometimes comment. The ratings and comments have nothing to do with my desision to watch the vid. I strongly believe that not everyone who watches a vid thumbs it up or down - I don't always. So yeah, ratings would only hold true meaning if it was compulsory to vote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
So yeah, ratings would only hold true meaning if it was compulsory to vote
I actually have to disagree with that, as said in the reply to the original post. If you have a video in which you performed everything all fine.. both as for the performance and the technique.. and you get 30 likes and 1 dislike on the video, and then you post another video and you get 11 likes and 20 dislikes on it, it's obvious that the viewers don't like the video as much as the first one.

You can be sure that many more people left a negative comment too.. although in this particular case those got (and get) disapproved.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #4
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
I actually have to disagree with that, as said in the reply to the original post. If you have a video in which you performed everything all fine.. both as for the performance and the technique.. and you get 30 likes and 1 dislike on the video, and then you post another video and you get 11 likes and 20 dislikes on it, it's obvious that the viewers don't like the video as much as the first one.
That's true for all the viewers that rated - what about the people that watched, and enjoyed it but didn't thumb up? See what I mean how if voting was compulsory, the results would be fixed with no dispute.