Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Mark

User channel on YouTube
Warning Andy Field Exposed

Andy Field used to be one of the best magicians on YouTube but as soon as he started to expose magic, his skills went down the drain and he soon turned into 'just another decent magician' as for handings, rather than the good one he used to be. He probably got kind of lazy.. because.. well.. why would you try to do your very best doing magic if you expose it anyways?

As soon as he made his first exposure videos, I sent Andy a PM asking why exactly he made tutorials. He replied by saying he couldn't answer this question in any text message so I asked him if he wanted to answer or discuss this over Skype, which he ignored. Obviously, he doesn't have any decent reason for what he does. He was taught by some of the best magicians who are against exposure, and these masters certainly never taught him how to give a proper answer to questions like these.

Later on, Andy made a video series on hecklers. Three videos, a lot of repeats, and very bad advices such as "ignore hecklers completely", which I made clear in my video is one of the worst things to do. He soon took those videos down, but he recently uploaded another, much shorter video in which he stuck with his old advices. It shows how many repeats there were in the first series which was about 25 minutes in length, the recent one is only close to 3 minutes but still includes the exact same advices. Click here if you feel the need to waste 2 minutes and 49 seconds of your life.

Of course, I had the urge to leave constructive feedback to this video, and so I did but Andy obviously didn't like this at all and decided to disable all video comments.

Now, Andy has uploaded two videos on removing cards from their box. One tutorial, and one video showing off. I couldn't resist leaving funny comments to them.

Video 1:
THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE

At 0:49 he shows how the magician wants to place the box on his left side, yet in the tutorial he ends up having the box on his right (at 1:41) so I commented:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHilkemeijer
I'm a bit confused by this tutorial because in the end, the box doesn't end up where the magician wanted it to end up in the first place (which was on the left top of the pad instead of the right). It must be magic, really. =/
Andy deleted this for absolutely no reason. There wasn't any hate involved and it was obviously just meant to be funny. Another Dutch guy left an even more brilliant, more serious comment which Andy didn't remove:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulhoofd1
ok, why not put the cardbox down with the left hand ?
I could have done way better.. and harsher.. by commenting "So how can we tell if it's an amateur if you teach them how to put their card boxes down properly?!" (referring to what he says at 0:20).

Up to the second video:
THIS VIDEO IS NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE

My comment and replies others left to it (which Andy all removed):
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHilkemeijer
So how are you going to put the card box on your left without crossing over or putting anything down?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFThands08
@MarkHilkemeijer hehehhe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheCardMagician
@MarkHilkemeijer haha i was just thinking that mark!
Andy Field... ignorant much?

PS: Andy blocked me pretty much right away.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

I am neutral on the matter of magic exposure. Some say it is wrong, because it breaks the "Magician's Code," while others believe it is right, mainly because of the fact that this helps magic "evolve." Should they not be able to do what they feel?
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Hmmm.. this wasn't exactly about exposing magic though, but the fact that Andy couldn't give any answer to the question about why he exposes magic makes it very bad and wrong if you ask me.

Instead of listening to my guts, I'd rather look at facts when saying something is wrong or right. Magic has always been evolving, also without free online magic tutorials. Also, music is meant to listen to, movies are there to watch, but magic is in no way meant to be exposed or else it would be just 'entertainment', and it is so much more than that. If it would've been only (potential) magicians watching these tutorials, fine, but this is not the case. Not to forget that most of these tutorials are just horrible as for teachings and will only completely kill the related effects. For more, please watch this.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Darn, videos removed... :'(

Well, I do agree exposing magic in itself is wrong, although I do expose some myself. I think baseless exposure is one of the worst forms teaching. Why? 1) It gives you no motivation to teach it correctly, if you were going to do it anyways, and 2) just like Mark here said, it would just be entertainment.

Although, thanks to Mark, I am turning more conservative towards exposure, my opinion is that some of the basic techniques exposed can be very useful for beginners. Some don't have the money or the luxury to buy DVDs that teach better than YouTube videos, which may in turn create more exposure due to poor performances. As a Chinese proverb says, "Teachers open doors. But the students have to walk through it".

Of course, others may argue otherwise (lol maybe Mark? xD) but other than that, Mark is correct in baseless exposure being wrong.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
Lurmelchen

User channel on YouTube

I totally agree,

a few months ago he posted a tutorial on Carousel by Irving Quant.
and removed it a few days later.
he has been revealing other magicians magic which makes it even worse.
Lurmelchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
MagicBurn

User channel on YouTube

AndyField's video JOKER CHOKER is one of my LITTLE "creations", Hawaii Jokers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H366jO1B5c

I didn't want credits from him, but at least I didn't want him taking my credists for creating a wonderful trick...!
I sent him a message and He replied me saying something like "What do you want? I've a bigger audience, You can't do anything, no one will believe you."

But I uploaded my video first than him...
MagicBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Now that i think about it, you're right, andyfield is someone who have helped me when i first started magic( his style and a few of his tutorials on the basics helped me), but now he's just living off the fortune that he previously collected, which will eventually run out. @Albert: yep, couldn't agree more, i think your tutorials aren't bad, because they go very deep and detailed, also, most of the important stuffs you teach can't be grasped by normal people that aren't very interested in them( i used to be one, now i'm going back to the passes and the top change tutorials)
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
Kayne

User channel on YouTube

Wow. I always thought Andy was a cool guy. Now I feel sad
Of course I still watch his videos regularly, but it is quite a bummer knowing he is stubborn.
Mark, maybe you could make a video or post a forum thread about hecklers and all of that performing stuff that andyfield taught but you said was completely wrong. Not saying I want you to do it like your all talk bla bla bla, but I trust you will always give wonderful advice
Kayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #9
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayne View Post
Mark, maybe you could make a video or post a forum thread about hecklers and all of that performing stuff that andyfield taught but you said was completely wrong. Not saying I want you to do it like your all talk bla bla bla, but I trust you will always give wonderful advice

I guess you can find the differences by yourself. I must add that he tweaked quite a bit after I made my video though, but he still swears by 'ignoring hecklers completely'.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
tobybromfield

Default cock

you are the biggest c**k I have ever met, all you do is critisizing everyone! andy field is way f***ing better than you will ever be u bastard! i hope you feel like s**t coz that is how you have made all those other people feel when you completely kill them mentally and their fans..

just stop, you're not gaining from it, infact you are making people feel like crap, so just f*** off and stop doing this!!
tobybromfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
Jordan

User channel on YouTube

He mad. Why not have a big mug of gtf over it.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:31 PM   #12
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobybromfield View Post
you are the biggest c**k I have ever met, all you do is critisizing everyone! andy field is way f***ing better than you will ever be u bastard! i hope you feel like s**t coz that is how you have made all those other people feel when you completely kill them mentally and their fans..

just stop, you're not gaining from it, infact you are making people feel like crap, so just f*** off and stop doing this!!
Toby Toby Toby... Please stop acting like a child. We have all the proof and reasons to 'alert' other magicians about what other magicians are doing, and that included you. We aren't hating on anyone. Have you ever seen one of our alert posts just saying "Yeah, we don't like this guy, so let's hate on him." In fact, we put up good reasons as to why someone is being alerted.

Andy Field is better than Mark Hilkemeijer? Really? Wow... Is that why he claimed my entry to mismag's contest #30 as fake and that I included a gimmick when I clearly sell it and proved to Jay it was impromptu? I'm not sure Toby. Andy thinks he's the boss or something, but I definitely don't think so, seeing that he's really cocky.

True, we aren't gaining anything from it, but we do it in hopes that other people will gain something from it.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #13
Des

Thank you Albert.
And Toby, he's not making anyone feel like crap. Andy will get more and more cocky the more rational people give him criticism .
@Kayne I know, even though I don't really watch his videos, I always assumed he was a nice guy. Guess not.
Des is offline   Reply With Quote