Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 03-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #121
JoshsMagic

Hahaha... you guys made a forum against Jonathan Kamm? Thats too funny... Are any of you as experienced as him? Everything he has said makes sense, and it seem everyone here can't deal with his responses. He performs for effects to share with the public. The comments posted about his effects are meaningless. Why does everyone here put this much time into trying to prove someone wrong... hahahaah.... this seriously cracks me up. He puts videos up of live performances and I havn't seen one from the guy who made this thread. What does that say about his effects and how practical they are? Something to think about... actually its a no brainer... you guys are all pathetic... but thanks for entertaining me
JoshsMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #122
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

To each his own Joshy

By the way, it's actually just a thread, not really an entire forum against him because that would just be stupid
Old 03-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #123
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Josh, I think you missed the entire point of this thread. It's not about Jonathan Kamm's effects, nor his experience, nor anything that even has the slightest bit to do with magic yet that's where the obvious misunderstanding is. Don't worry, every single one of us really likes Jonathan as a magician and performer.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:59 AM   #124
Magician777card
TaylorMagician7

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Whoa man! This must be the very best first post someone ever made on any forum on the world wide web!!

Awesome job! And thank you for not having him bother me.

I love this comment!!!!!!!!!
Magician777card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #125
Gnarlycardz

yep, that seems right to me
Gnarlycardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #126
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
What I said is ...I don't look at the comments and ratings of other peoples videos. I decide wether their video is good by watching it. Their ratings and comments do not influence my decision. This is how most people view videos that I know.
I understood what you meant the first time you said this. When I'm on Youtube I just watch the vids, and sometimes comment. The ratings and comments have nothing to do with my desision to watch the vid. I strongly believe that not everyone who watches a vid thumbs it up or down - I don't always. So yeah, ratings would only hold true meaning if it was compulsory to vote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #127
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
So yeah, ratings would only hold true meaning if it was compulsory to vote
I actually have to disagree with that, as said in the reply to the original post. If you have a video in which you performed everything all fine.. both as for the performance and the technique.. and you get 30 likes and 1 dislike on the video, and then you post another video and you get 11 likes and 20 dislikes on it, it's obvious that the viewers don't like the video as much as the first one.

You can be sure that many more people left a negative comment too.. although in this particular case those got (and get) disapproved.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #128
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
I actually have to disagree with that, as said in the reply to the original post. If you have a video in which you performed everything all fine.. both as for the performance and the technique.. and you get 30 likes and 1 dislike on the video, and then you post another video and you get 11 likes and 20 dislikes on it, it's obvious that the viewers don't like the video as much as the first one.
That's true for all the viewers that rated - what about the people that watched, and enjoyed it but didn't thumb up? See what I mean how if voting was compulsory, the results would be fixed with no dispute.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #129
Mark

User channel on YouTube

But it's not just those who rate the video, who dislike it. Usually the ratings are very well represented by the comments (which half of the time aren't given by the same people) and by the rest of the viewers for that matter. It's just like in any democracy, you don't need every single person's vote to see whether something is more liked than something else.

Plus, in this particular case the lower rated video indeed wasn't quite as good as the higher rated one, from a performance and technical point and for either laymen and magicians.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM   #130
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
But it's not just those who rate the video, who dislike it. Usually the ratings are very well represented by the comments (which half of the time aren't given by the same people) and by the rest of the viewers for that matter. It's just like in any democracy, you don't need every single person's vote to see whether something is more liked than something else.

Plus, in this particular case the lower rated video indeed wasn't quite as good as the higher rated one, from a performance and technical point and for either laymen and magicians.
Hey Mark, I think this is a case of a mutual misunderstanding because I was speaking about all videos in general, and now it's become clear to me that you are talking about one or two very specific videos. Is that true? If so, it may help the discussion if I knew which vids you were talking about.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:36 PM ----------

All I was saying was I generally watch A video first, then sometimes I read peoples comments if A particular video has caught my interest. I have never clicked on a video, read the comments first, and then decided to watch it or not. That method isn't natural to me.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 PM   #131
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Okay, I'm majorly confused now.

I was merely replying to the last sentence of what you said in post #126. I fully agree on the rest, which is similar to the second part of what you just posted (post #130).

However, I was indeed comparing two videos of the same artist (Jonathan Kamm) with each other, but I'm pretty sure the same thing goes for all videos in general, which is why I am lost right now.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #132
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

I'm lost too. Personally, ratings mean nothing to me. I mean if it were compulsory to vote I still wouldn't check how many likes the video had before watching the vid. I'd just watch it and decide for myself.
Maybe, I meant better regulated as opposed to true.

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Though I'm not suggesting this should happen for real. It's too black and white.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #133
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I think the confusion is caused because you're mixing things up a little. It's not about the people who watch the video and rate it but about what the video author does with those ratings.

If a video author thinks he did an amazing job while many if not most people who usually give his videos thumbs up, give this particular video thumbs down instead, there must have been something wrong and the video author better starts questioning the video. That, Jonathan said he would never do because he got so much experience and knows that whatever he does is great.. which is what I strongly disagree with.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #134
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

I don't know if it's possible to manipulate the ammount of likes and dislikes your video has, is that what you mean about "what the authour does with those ratings"?, but I'm aware that comments can be removed. But yeah of course you have a point in your last paragraph - that very much sounds like the attitude of someone who doesn't like to be criticized.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #135
Mark

User channel on YouTube

"What the video author does with those ratings" means whether the video author will look at those ratings and whether he will use them to improve.
I'm glad you agree.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:04 PM   #136
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

I have a very similar problem that just happened to me. A guy came on one of my videos and commented on it saying its nothing like the original which is true, and also that my change sucked. I'm completely fine with that and I know its true, because I think the same myself. Its just the way he said it came across as highly disrespectful. I have no intention of deleting comments or anything because I'm not like that. BUT, I did leave a fairly lengthy 3 comment response speaking my mind, which I think is okay because he left his honest opinion so i left mine as well. Maybe I went a little too far with it, and keep in mind I never would have responded had it been a normal comment or even a negative one as long as its constructive, i mean thats what leaving comments is there for.

Basically, I'm asking if my response was justified or If I went too far and my actions were unwarranted. I'd like your guys' thoughts on the matter, and thanks alot for taking the time. =)

Here is the link to the video where the comments were posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4C1BBZGTE
Travmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #137
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travmang View Post
I have a very similar problem that just happened to me. A guy came on one of my videos and commented on it saying its nothing like the original which is true, and also that my change sucked. I'm completely fine with that and I know its true, because I think the same myself. Its just the way he said it came across as highly disrespectful. I have no intention of deleting comments or anything because I'm not like that. BUT, I did leave a fairly lengthy 3 comment response speaking my mind, which I think is okay because he left his honest opinion so i left mine as well. Maybe I went a little too far with it, and keep in mind I never would have responded had it been a normal comment or even a negative one as long as its constructive, i mean thats what leaving comments is there for.

Basically, I'm asking if my response was justified or If I went too far and my actions were unwarranted. I'd like your guys' thoughts on the matter, and thanks alot for taking the time. =)

Here is the link to the video where the comments were posted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y4C1BBZGTE
Can't agree more with what you did. Maybe it was a bit too much as it could've fit in a single comment, but it's all correct and fine.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #138
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

User channel on YouTube

Okay thats good to know, thanks a lot! I appreciate it
Old 05-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #139
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

I just clicked your link and read his comment and your response. I'd be pretty pissed too with that lack of respect. Thinking about it though, I really don't know how I'd reply other than try to defend myself like you did. And it's really not worth deleting comments
Old 05-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #140
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

User channel on YouTube

Oh yeah of course not, I have a thing about Freedom of Speech. Everyone deserves to have their opinion heard even if you don't agree with it. Besides, another thing of mine, I really wasn't angry, i was upset though but.... After playing WoW for almost 4 years now off and on, and having to deal with incredibly rude and immature people in the game, its come to a point where I enjoy arguments, I thrive off of them, and I don't lose arguments. Well, mostly! lol