Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 AM   #81
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

That is correct, how else would he have gotten feedback from all of these well-known magicians? He has been a resident magician working in the bar for fourteen years. He takes pride in his internet advertising with his products and quotes from other famous magicians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
I have a group of guys in India who all love me and watch my videos religiously. Their club is just for guys who love me.
Here, we see him expressing what he is through the internet. Why would he be waving that fact around?
Kind of off topic, but his wording in this particular part of the passage reminds me of Johnny.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #82
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

it's odd... we never disputed his talent or skills... weren't we just saying that his personality towards other magicians that was bad?( i know of the spring control thing, that may have been our fault)
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:35 AM   #83
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
it's odd... we never disputed his talent or skills... weren't we just saying that his personality towards other magicians that was bad?( i know of the spring control thing, that may have been our fault)
That's exactly right.

But, it seems like Jonathan was going off track, so we decided to hitch a ride beside him

But as you have said, it's not skill, abilities, knowledge, experience, or whoever famous you know that matters. If you have poor respect for other people, then it just doesn't work out in the end.

I see where he is coming from, when he mentions extremely under-experienced magicians criticizing him. Even if it wasn't true, even I would feel sort of confuzzled (yes, I just added confused and puzzled together).

But being able to accept that is a trait that Jonathan was not willing to learn while boasting wayyyyyyyy too much then was necessary. I just don't agree with how he deals with people he either sees inferior or as a threat. It's very primitive from my perspective.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #84
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

Don't you think that if maybe he was skilled enough, the extremely under-experienced magicians would be criticizing him?

Jonathan uses quotes and compliments from other famous magicians as backup and proof of some of his skills to an extent, while he thinks that "other magicians are tainted with their knowledge" (taken from one of his comments on YouTube). His personality may be bad towards them, but I don't think he would fight back against compliments and praise.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 06:06 PM   #85
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Another email has been added to the end of March 2011 document: Download PDF.

As I don't like never-ending back-and-forth emailing, I won't reply in another email myself. I'm sure Jonathan reads this anyways.

Although I'll let the mails speak for themselves, I'd like to point out some things:

Jonathan ended up saying that he was impressed with me being in the commercial and that it looked like fun. Is this how we say "Sorry. I was wrong." nowadays? I sure think that'd be the only proper thing to say after all the unnecessary, ungrounded, inappropriate bashing.. but maybe that's just me.

He also stated that I worked with paid actors. I doubt he has ever seen and/or heard of Big Brother (another concept by the Dutch) but Axe Heaven On Earth was just like that, yet with three angels and people getting invited to join the girls instead. The reactions of those girls were as honest as they could get. They sure were paid to be in the house for two full weeks non-stop, but not to act happy. They had their depressing and upset moments too and if I would've had sucked at magic their reactions would've said so.

And with so many people watching it sure wouldn't be a good idea to do the easiest tricks too, or else these would've been exposed on the web in no time. I honestly think that no unexperienced magician would've been as relaxed or would've even succeeded in that situation.

He also claimed that I'd have to prove myself right because his 27 years of experience tells me we are wrong about criticizing him. I think that continuously falling back on the fact of being a magician (something we never even questioned) while we obviously called him out for his online behavior doesn't quite help the discussion to end up anywhere. The world wide web didn't even exist 27 years ago. I think that anyone under the age of 25 is more experienced at it because they grew up with it.

As we can't see what he behaves like in real life through our screens, there is absolutely no evidence for him being the nicest guy on this planet. Saying that about yourself isn't a very nice thing to do either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
This is typical hater behavior. They attack. You defend yourself, They don't listen and attack again ......and again ...and again.
Nuff said.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #86
King Johnny

Cool grow up

Dont you think alot of what you guys are saying is judgemental and considered "hate"? To follow his videos and be critical, is what you all consider hate. Time to move on to performing people. There are far better ways to spend your time. I come back here after all this time to find people using my name again. I guess you guys never learn. Yes, me and Jonathan Kamm say alot of the same things, because as I said before-we are workers-most of you are not. Also, Albert, for you to say working behind a camera is any comparison to a real performance is just foolish. Get real. Oh yea, Mark-I still dont see any performance videos from you,and Im not talking street magic,Im talking in front of a audience.(here's the face you always use...)
King Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:24 PM   #87
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Right after I showed Jonathan that I perform live (although he already knew about that anyways), you decide to register and to post that?

I don't actually need live performance videos to prove myself right. That Jonathan and you feel like you do is just silly.

I keep my magic videos and live performances seperated due to various reasons. First, because the majority of live performance videos are just for the reactions and not for the magic, and thus is a totally different kind of entertainment. Second, because they often ruin the magic, if not for potential spectators who will be watching me live and then have already seen the tricks in those contexts. And third but not least, because I like to interact with my audiences which in case of YouTube are the video viewers and not the live audiences. Same with Tinychat viewers watching me live in video streams, and live audiences watching my magic in real life. Simple as that.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #88
King Johnny

oh no problem-I just thought you might have more than one show. I post vids of shows I have done in the past. The stuff here on youtube I dont even perform anymore. Its not silly to question someones experience.For someone who gives advice to aspiring magicians it would be nice to see they really know what theyre talking about. If I said I was a actor and gave acting advice here on youtube,and even did little video skits of me acting on youtube,people may say"hey do you have any real-world acting clips"?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

But anyway the real question was dont you think you guys are hating one here? Finding one little thing that some does or has said and drilling it? Are you all perfect or something? Also do you think its fair to post private conversations between you and others? That seems petty. When two men are talking or argueing about something,then you post it on here so your friends can jump in and gang up on the person seems a little cowardly
Old 03-11-2011, 07:41 PM   #89
Mark

User channel on YouTube

And then I say: "I do, but I didn't upload them to YouTube. If you want to see me perform live, feel free to add me to any instant messenger and I'll show you, and whoever you want to invite, privately." Problem solved.

We actually got veeeery few people asking us for live performance videos.

And we aren't hating, no, apart from hating on hate every now and then. We actually love life enough that we try to get rid of all the hate. If we need to point out that Muammar Gaddafi does terrible things to the Libyans, we gladly do so though Gaddafi himself wouldn't like that. That's obviously exaggerated but it aren't little things we point out, it are actually very important things that could seriously damage people their chances of being succesful and/or their views towards the art of magic. We don't want that to happen and so we point it out and be sure that everyone can read it so that no one else will make such mistakes.

I think Jonathan described typical hater behavior perfectly.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #90
King Johnny

Could you please answer the question at the bottom of my last response?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:52 PM   #91
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Already have.
Sorry, but I only noticed it after I posted my reply as you added it later.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #92
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Johnny View Post
f you are not. Also, Albert, for you to say working behind a camera is any comparison to a real performance is just foolish. Get real.
I am getting as real as possible. I've been performing practically every single day (Except for weekends) for all 4 years of my high school through lunch breaks and after school as well. I've performed in countless parties and meetings (of course, with an exception of bar/restaurants; saying it now so you won't make false claims and statements like last time,calling me a liar.

And you know what I found? With hours of practice and the confidence you build up on yourself, I found it to be absolutely easy to perform for spectators. Of course, getting your patter work takes more effort. But I love interacting with them and just showing them my best magic possible because I know I can do it. I can use all the necessary misdirection in the world and they can laugh and have a blast. You can't do that through camera. Try making people laugh and actually enjoying their life through camera. You will find how hard it is to:
1) Make them smile and legitimately laugh,
2) To hide your moves completely so that replays become useless (i.e. to fool other magicians completely);
3) To apply surroundings to make the entertainment that much stronger.

Maybe this sort of explains how I view the consequences of video performances.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #93
michi

Hi.

Is this what kammagics video is about? I googled but this is all i find.

If it is, it is not as bad than what he wrote in the video. I see what all of you come from.
Wanted to tell you guys you are wrong but your not.
michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #94
tzihb

User channel on YouTube

Oh man, come on. Serious?
He has uploaded a new Video, calling this site “a hater forum”, created for hating. I'm not a hater and honestly I think you guys either. There was just a disagreement between him and this forum. It is degenerated, of course, but he has generalized everything. Haters hate without a reason. Also, why has he made this video? I think he needs agreement. Maybe not. I don't know.

Jonathan, if you read this, you will probably think I am a hater. I'm not. I subsribed to your channel because I want to see magic and not to read about your “haters”. This is not ok.

Just my opinion
tzihb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #95
Mark

User channel on YouTube

If only he would've kept everything in its context. If I wouldn't know about this thread I'd support him too due to what he said in the video. Who would create a whole forum just to hate on him?! Amateurs with a conman as their idol?! An amateur who tells a 27 year professional he is wrong?! How dare they?!

There is no person in the world who wouldn't feel sorry for Jonathan if they would've only seen the video and not know about this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michi View Post
Hi.

Is this what kammagics video is about? I googled but this is all i find.

If it is, it is not as bad than what he wrote in the video. I see what all of you come from.
Wanted to tell you guys you are wrong but your not.
I'd like to give you props for reading this thread and not making thoughtless statements. This indeed is the thing Jonathan talked about in his video and it indeed is nothing like what he said in his video.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:28 PM   #96
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
If only he would've kept everything in its context. If I wouldn't know about this thread I'd support him too due to what he said in the video. Who would create a whole forum just to hate on him?! Amateurs with a conman as their idol?! An amateur who tells a 27 year professional he is wrong?! How dare they?!

There is no person in the world who wouldn't feel sorry for Jonathan if they would've only seen the video and not know about this thread.

I'd like to give you props for reading this thread and not making thoughtless statements. This indeed is the thing Jonathan talked about in his video and it indeed is nothing like what he said in his video.
I completely agree with you mark. I thank you michi for taking the time to research the background of the video for yourself. I only wish that everyone else knew what you do. I would post something about it on the video, but it would probably blocked.

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #97
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

-________- WOW...

He just made the video to make him sound like the complete victim here.

Well, that's the only way one can get support when they are in the wrong; to hide the wrong.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #98
Mark

User channel on YouTube

It also shows how dishonest he is and that he is very well aware of it too.
Ah well, if it makes him feel good, so be it. He apparently needed it.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #99
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

What I find amusing is that he called you a conman. So in other words, he has attempted to publicly humiliate Mark by calling him a fake when he isn't.

Now I wonder how people would respond when they found out that Jonathan was calling Mark a fake when he obviously has all the proof he needs to disprove that. From a bystanders point of view, I would start questioning Jonathan's actions. Of course, some gullible people will side with Jonathan though
Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM   #100
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Well, I promised to do no harm to the guy (though it'd be the question whether it'd be me doing harm to him or Jonathan doing harm to himself).

Quite some of the people who commented are actually registered to this board already. Eventually they will find out about this and make up their minds like michi did.