Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 04-18-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Kieran Oloughlin

Default Whick book?

WATUP?

I wana a buy a card book. I have one which is one of thoses 101 amzing card trick crap ones which is what I satrted out with. I am thinking of the paper engine or by forces unseen. I would not mind any it just has to be about cards so yeah... A boo

COuld you people recomend some to me?
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

If you want a book on tricks and sleights, i think paper engine will do you nicely
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Kieran Oloughlin

Yes on tricks and sleights. Paper engine is a definate option
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

'Expert Card Technique' by Hugard & Braue.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #5
Kieran Oloughlin

WHat I think I will do once I get the money togther (which should not take long) I will buy both royal road to card magic and expert card technique in one becuase I have a bit of a mix a stuff from the crap (101 "amazing" card tricks) to the awesome such as wepons of card shark and andthensome so to fill in the gap I will go with those two.

How do you people think of this decision? I hope I am not waisting my money.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

in my opinion, despite the cool trailer of andthensome, it isn't actually very good( the only 3 exceptions for me were the GOAT change, shepherd change and portal).

Of course, i'm only talking about the tricks and sleights aspect of the DVD, to me the flourishes were fun to practice.

The rest of them looks like good investments( tho... idk why you would want to check out "weapons of the card shark", since they are only good when you're doing a table cheating demonstration or to cheat in an actual game. Or if you're a move monkey like i am)
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
Old 04-21-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Kieran Oloughlin

I like moves they fasinate me and the more moves I learn the better. I got weapons of card shark for christmas from my uncle. I like it because it also teaches stuff that helps with magic such as super convincing false cuts and shuffles and the riffle stacking part helped me learn estimation ace. I have actually tried the moves in a gme with my friends and when undetected (we where not beting anything by the way) anyway for andthensome I was kind of disappointed about it. I like hedbergs peak but not hedberg all over portal is awesome but I am having trouble with it. Encore does not make much sense to me and the other trick is all right. The changes are good though but I was hoping for a few more tricks on the dvd. Anyway does anyone have royal road and what do they think of it.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Encore, basically, should give the impression that the 2 red aces and the 2 red aces switch places, but i agree, it doesn't make much sense nor does it give a good reaction( the quicker you do something, the more suspicious it gets).

Which part of Portal do you have trouble with? the DL or the pop out move? if it's the pop out move than i can help you.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:07 AM   #9
Kieran Oloughlin

The DL and getting the card to be sucked in, it does not explain it very well. The pop out is fine but sometimes it shoots right out and falls onto the floor.

WHat confuses me with encore is how the aces are not shown very openly and the are kind of thrown across wich to me looks suspoicous
Old 04-21-2011, 04:46 PM   #10
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

for the dl, you just use the same principle as "Orbit", or simply use fanning powder. I can't help with the shoot out, it simply comes to you through practice( sadly, i still can't do the move 100%, sometimes it doesn't fly out and sometimes it flies all the way out), but if you try to control how much the card... shape-shifts( closest thing i could think of that won't expose it to whoever haven't seen the DVD yet), how much it shoots out is different
Old 04-27-2011, 12:41 AM   #11
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Expert Card Technique is a great one. If you do not have it yet, stop all other trains of thought and buy/download Expert at the Card Table (can be gotten at many places online for free as online download). DO NOT buy By Forces Unseen unless you want to feel insignificant. After a month with the book I only managed to make one routine and half of another presentable, though I did learn one of my new favorite controls, the convincing control (I now use it all the time). Finally, I recommend The Card Magic of Le Paul for sleights, and Effective Card Magic if you are into gambling (it has a great section on the second deal, but that's pretty much the only above-average thing in it).

Also Paper Engine is good too. Check out my review of it in the reviews section.

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #12
Kieran Oloughlin

Hey. Just sepnt an hour doing my damn maths sprials assigment and almost finished.
I bought royal road to card magic and expert card technique today in one as they apparently go togther and compement each other. But from the internet so they will take a few weeks to arrive which sucks but yeah I got them.
And s13zetheday what do you mean feel insignificant with by forces unseen are the tricks in there bad or hard.
Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #13
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

hard- very hard. Insanely hard, in fact. They do, however, look mindblowing IF done right, which is near impossible without months of practice

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #14
Kieran Oloughlin

I saw that video when I was thinking about which book to by the guy is good and so are the tricks. I wonder how they compare do dan and davs tricks though the only one I can do is portal but even in that I can not do it compelty correctly.