Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #1
BenjiTaylor

User channel on YouTube
Default How To Create Your Own Magic

That was meant to be more of a question but anyway, what are your guys methods to create original magic?
BenjiTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i remember answering this question a while back... so nostalgic

well, i start by thinking of a concept of what i want to accomplish( generally ideas that makes no sense at first, and then trimmed bit by bit into an understandble sequence of events) and then use whatever i know how to do, and just do it. Sometimes, to make up for things i don't know how to do, i would replace it with something i know how to, or just make a new( usually very bold) way to accomplish what i want
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Pretty much what la0o9 said.

Either come up with an original plot you would like to make reality or solve problems you have with current principles and techniques out there. However, I would always suggest to look at it from a 'problem solving' perspective because if there is no problem to solve, there is absolutely no need to come up with anything new either.

Keep in mind that being a magician is not about creating new tricks. Most magicians survive merely on other people their creations which they made their own with their performances.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

I've always wondered the same but had fear of running into "the idea's already created by someone else."

Reminds me of the music industry. You can write an original song only to find out later that someone holds rights to a song already that sound similar. I've made a lot of "main stream" style of songs on my own, and there have been hundreds of times where I would say to my self, "they stole my song."while listening to mainstream radio stations. Lol, obviously they didn't but this brings me to raise the question: If you find your self in a similar situation (come up w/ an idea and find its been done), where than does the direction of creating a trick go towards? Hope that makes sense...
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

simple answer for that 2nd question: Forward.

just because someone already made something similar doesn't mean you can't revamp it, there was a saying i heard somewhere: "try try as they might to copy an author's book, it is only he himself that can continue it". if you came up with an effect independently, you surely, can make it into your own thing, don't give up when you meet a similar effect to yours, just go on expanding the effect/move.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote