Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Johnny Silver

Donor Score: 100
User channel on YouTube
Default How to approach tables and show set up 1&2

---------- Post added 11-16-2011 at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-15-2011 at 11:56 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 12:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 AM ----------

Take this advice or leave it. You may not agree on some subjects, but this advice comes from many years of performing. These are just suggestions for you to keep in mind as you are building your magic career. Hope you can get some ideas from these vids that help you out.
Johnny Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Some great advice here Johnny!
Mentalism truly is a great thing, especially for adults. That's why I like using peeks instead of having them take out a card in many cases. They believe that they are merely thinking of a card, which makes things much more deceptive.

I also find card tricks to work best after another effect, that usually use some common props that are lying around. Otherwise, people may have a tendency to think, "oh a typical card trick". The envelopes are a nice touch. Just wondering if anyone saw the envelopes and asked "you trying to sell us something bro?"

Also, do you mind expanding on why you have a deck that can be destroyed while you have one that doesn't for those who may wonder why? I'm assuming that you have tricks that require a full deck or something to that extent. But if you have another reason, I would love to know too
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 AM   #3
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Incredibly, incredibly helpful and useful video. Thanks so much for this Johnny it is hugely appreciated I love mentalism and really want to add a little bit to my repertoire but I have no idea where to start. I'd like some kind of effect similar to the one you describe.. A self-contained, impossible prediction effect. Any recommendations?
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:54 AM   #4
Johnny Silver

User channel on YouTube

@Albert- hey guys Im Johnny Silver,"wanna buy a watch"-no they never thought i was selling something,lol Yes, I keep a full deck,because I have some effects that require the entire deck. One thing I should include tho is for ALL card tricks,whether its packet or deck tricks, or effects with the deck where the cards can be destroyed, all the decks should be the same. Throughout the entire night I want people to see me using the same type of cards.
@Fin-Sorry, I only discuss magic. I never speak about the Mentalism I do. I only even have 2 videos of me doing mentalism posted and they are old. Its just kinda my thing.... However a great mentalism type effect for magicians is "the Black Envelope" by Eugene Burger.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
BenjiTaylor

User channel on YouTube
Okay

Wow! Thankyou so much for the advice ! It helped ALLOT!
BenjiTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I totally understand dude. Thanks again for the vids.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Great series, and nice to finally see someone who doesn't take an overload of stuff with him too!

That said, you already know that I don't agree on every single thing because it has been discussed on here before, but that's all fine because you tell it purely from your own experience and my experience is a little different, but... I believe there is a glitch. Please reply on the following to set things straight.

You said you actually introduce yourself as "the house magician", but you also said you don't want anyone to know what is about to happen, like with the "Do you want to see something absolutely amazing?" line (in my case it is "Would you like to help me out?", in which I also take care of the people that originally would not want to see magic, but in the end they are always glad they said "sure" because they needed the distraction from real life, just an idea for whoever needs it).

I think that once you said you're a magician, whatever prop you use is irrelevant because the spectators know something magical is about to happen. So then it would be unnecessary to bash on card tricks as opening effects because your opinion is that these give you the same kind of atmosphere, which you said you didn't want to create to begin with.

So how does that work?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
Johnny Silver

User channel on YouTube

@Mark- Theres no glitch I guess its because of the different places we live. The Chicago area can be a tough place. I have to establish myself as the magician,not just some guy off the street,when I walk up to a table, or fights can break out very quickly. A look or smile (at someones woman) can make a situation unfold. Yes, its a sad situation. Once they know Im a magician, they know Im going to do magic, but they dont know what. If I pull out a deck of cards, most people think you are just going to try to fool them. Alot of people have done a card trick at some point in thier life, so they know that they use sleight of hand or are self working, so they THINK they know how its done. So many times I've heard "Dude!, I've seen people do card tricks, but that was awesome!"(at my opening) At this point you can do anything. If you start with a card trick, no matter what card trick you start with, people think of that guy that says, picka card, any card. Starting with a card trick is so typical, I just want to encourage people to open with something unexpected. Definatley, not bashing card trick openings-just giving different options
Also, (because of the area), if you walked up to a table and said, "would you like to help me out", most people around here would say, get the h_ll out of here, because they would think you want money or change. I dont agree with saying "would you like to help me out", its kinda forcing yourself to the table under the false assumption that there is something wrong and you need help. Just my opinion, please dont take it the wrong way
Old 11-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

I'm wondering if the differences in opinion between our opening lines between Johnny and Mark is due to the settings? I don't know if Mark has performed in bars and restaurants, but his opening lines would work just nicely in the streets if they see a bored potential spectator.

I usually go ahead and start with (both in the streets and bar/restaurant setting), "Hi, I'm a performer. Would like to be entertained (or would like to see something amazing)?" I found that not saying, "Would you like to see a magic trick" gives fuller attention as people start to wonder, 'what kind of a performer is he?' Once they ask what kind of performer I am, I would say, "Well, let me show you! " and start off with a simple trick.

I found that to be pretty effective. I think it's also important to mention the attitude you hold when approaching a table, as well as mentality. If you seem grumpy or not amused, people wouldn't want to even bother with you, right?
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM   #10
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I guess the usual addition "I would like to try something." makes it alright then. Then again, I usually perform in Dutch over here, but the times I asked it to English or American people it worked out fine.

I still don't really get how saying you are a magician is any different from getting a deck of cards out of your pocket/case, atmosphere-wise that is, because the spectators still wouldn't know what exactly is going to happen. Either way all they know or think is that there will be some sort of magic coming up. I do understand some of the reasoning behind it though, but when making a deal out of it, wouldn't it be better to say "I'm the house performer. Would you like to witness something amazing?", to go with Albert's line, and to not give away the fact that any magic is coming up?

Quote:
I'm wondering if the differences in opinion between our opening lines between Johnny and Mark is due to the settings? I don't know if Mark has performed in bars and restaurants, but his opening lines would work just nicely in the streets if they see a bored potential spectator.
I have, but not so much in so called hooligan bars over here where people will start a fight over nothing. I guess I should try that someday.

Whenever I perform at bars and restaurants, I first work some crowds in the corners using that exact opening line, then I move on to the center of the place where there are people who most likely saw me going around already so usually there is absolutely no question needed to get them to work along and to enjoy the magic. And I can still keep things intimate, not that the whole place is going to circle around me because place owners usually hate that.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I have, but not so much in so called hooligan bars over here where people will start a fight over nothing. I guess I should try that someday.
Yeah, and then pull a Mark, disappear, and leave the place. There would be a riot because of you, but nobody would be able to trace back since you disappeared from the scene without a trace. What an a$$.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Yeah, and then pull a Mark, disappear, and leave the place. There would be a riot because of you, but nobody would be able to trace back since you disappeared from the scene without a trace. What an a$$.
Indeed, I'll make sure to hook up 'The Flash' outside, some blocks away, so if things start to get out of hand, I'll disappear in no time. Call me an a$$, but I think it's just smart and most I could do to save my skin.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

This is some good advice, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #14
MysteryHand
Card Player with Mystery

User channel on YouTube

This is very great advice for closeup magician and stage magician. Thanks you Johnny
MysteryHand is offline   Reply With Quote