Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube
Question Hand shaking in magic.

I've been a magician for quite a long time, i've had many experiences in public, i have worked on parties, on stage and even for random people in a magic store, with all of that, i've managed to not care about performing for public in general.

But...

For some reason, almost everytime i perform for other magicians, i get this annoying handshaking... my hands simply start to shake, that's it, and i'm not really nervous, i can still perfectly be infront of the audience. I believe it's because i feel tested (this mostly happens when i'm infront somebody who knows my area, or who has a really big career supporting them).

After some performances in front of magicians, i am now able to kinda control it AFTER it has started, but in the beggining it's always pretty annoying, so my general question, has this happened to you? and if it has, how do you manage to control hand shaking when performing? i personally stop for a second, get a deep breath, relax all the pressure in my hands (while talking) and when i come back, it's all a little bit better.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, for other magicians i don't really get those hand-shakes, i do get them sometimes when i do it for audience, and if i do get shakes, i simply divert, or try to, their attention away from me for a bit( a joke, a bit of audience involvement, whatever works), after that i usually regain my composure.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #3
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Sounds like you've worked out the problem, and can control it, but you want to control it better. I would sit down and think hard about a few things.

1) Why do you get nervous in the first place. If it's because you feel tested then work out a way to get past that in your head. I would acknowledge it. Say to yourself "ok, this performance is slightly more testing because there are skilled magicians watching. Now, time to have some fun.". Sometimes just openly stating to oneself what the problem is can help one to move past it.

2) Get out of the habit! By this I mean UN-learn this habit you have taught yourself. You did it unknowingly but you have taught yourself to react this way. "I'll be more nervous for magicians than for laymen for reason x, y, and z."
Analyse WHY you think this way. What are x,y and z? And why are you chosing this type of reaction rather than, for instance, the way I react, which is as follows: I am completely the opposite to you. When I perform for magicians I am much more relaxed. This is because I personally feel that messing up a trick for a magician is not half as bad as messing one up for a layman. Because a magician knows half of the secrets anyway - seeing a flash during your pass is hardly going to send them into deep shock and floods of tears as they realise that magic isn't real. A layman however could be completely caught up in your magic, then spot a glaring error, and it could quite easily COMPLETELY ruin the entire experience for them. See, I'm thinking about what is happening in their heads. A magician will just realise I need more practise, whereas a layman will see a "secret" and the magic is completely ruined. What's worse?

3) Free yourself from the pressure of other people's opinions. I have nothing to prove to other magicians. I enjoy sharing, comparing, getting jealous of other magicians etc.. but as far as performing goes I think it's much more important to worry about what laymen think of you rather than what fellow magicians think. Magicians will be ultra picky about various things that laymen wouldn't care about one bit. Magicians will also often try to get you to do things "like I do" because they think their way is the best way. This is most often actually quite damaging for your magic. Originality, among artists, is often met with derision and ridicule. So, don't put too much emphasis on what other magicians think. You may already be way ahead of them!
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

Those are great advices, thank you guys!
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
KGaborMagic
K. Gábor

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

I think hand shaking can only be eliminated if you perform, perform and perform.
This is the case when performing to laymen, but also when performing to magicians. You will soon get used to the situation, and then you won't have problems with it.
KGaborMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
Pig

Hmmmmm so I'm not alone eh.
Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #7
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Its all mental.. like me
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
TheWezku
-W

I used to have some hand shaking back in the days when i performed to my school techers i dont have that problem any more because im more confident of my skills
TheWezku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Wyattsb

User channel on YouTube

Confidence fixes that, I used to get it quite a lot, the worst was with card to mouth, probably the boldness of it, but now its just gone. Occasionally if I'm trying something for the first few times it comes back a little but soon it just goes again.
Wyattsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
TheSecretFire

Like Fin said, adapt the mindset that laymen generally expect a magician to do magic, while magicians generally expect cool tricks.

So when performing in front of magicians, don't let them test you- just test yourself. And since magicians usually know what's going on, you can do really bold stuff (if your intention is to fool them), like doing tabled doubles, or spreading the invisible deck on the table (after finding their named card), or put a double or gimmicked card in their palm, etc.

As for the shakes, I used to get those so bad that I could barely hold the deck. So here's what I did to get rid of them faster: do a very fast set of 30-40 pushups then rehearse the routine while forcing your body to relax (or pullups or some other exercise that will make your arms and hands shake). This will help you to have greater control over your heartrate, so when you perform, getting your body to relax will be considerably easier.

Hope this helps!
TheSecretFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audience, hand, magicians, performances, shaking