Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
All well documented and proven with photos, websites and videos. I have testimonials of my talents from some of the most well respected cardmen in the world. Ken Krenzel, Peter Duffie, Steve Draun, Alan Ackerman, Jack Carpenter to name a few. All legends in the world of magic.
Well, that's all dandy and nice, but I'm not sure what the point of this statement was.

I personally believe that testimonials from other people don't really prove much about another person. Sure, it's got backup and it's great if you want to know something about a stranger. But people can say nice things about other people just to be respectful, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it was actually true. Of course, there is no strength in this argument unless we hear from the people in question themselves. I'm not saying this is a lie. Just saying it has no real merit in this situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kammagic
I was a successful and accomplished performer long before I got on the Internet. You would be nothing without it.
This is an interesting statement. Unfortunately, this is no longer valid in the 21st century. Why? Well let's observe:

There are now multiple forms of media to announce yourself, one of them being the internet. Through internet, you can announce yourself to the public, word of mouth occurs, more people from around the world takes notice and WAM! You can become a star (like Bieber ). However, this doesn't mean that one would be nothing without it. Before I created my account, I was practically not known at all on the internet. But I was very well known in my high school. Every single student practically knew "the magician" and through their words, it spread around the whole town and even to other high schools in the district. I'm sure Mark has also had similar experiences with these word of mouth phenomenon and other magicians too.

So in fact, without the internet, Mark may have been nothing internationally. But he may have been something greater in his city, and even in the Netherlands. However through the internet, he made himself someone well known.

Same for Kam. You were mostly well-known around the places you performed at. So if you never had the internet, you would have been "nothing" in the international sense (well, Blackpool really doesn't count much).

It's just a smart usage of a form of media that is now available. Older magicians tend to have the concept stuck in their heads that direct contact is the only was to prove yourself. I think that's old school. It has its merits, but not so much anymore.