Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Lounge > General Discussions
Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 05:06 PM   #21
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travmang View Post
P.S. One last thing for Mark, which I'm about to edit out of the post:
Either you edited it out too quickly or you didn't edit out anything at all.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #22
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

dang, all it was was me saying "HAHA I TROLLED YOU BY MAKING YOU LOOK AT THE UNEDITED VERSION OF THE POST", but apparently it didn't work!

Or maybe it did work but you're pretending like it didn't to claim victory over the situation?!!?!
Travmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #23
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I've got to know Leroy pretty well over the last few weeks. He is an incredibly kind hearted guy who is passionate about his card magic, and I know for a fact that he has meant no offence whatsoever to you, Mark or Albert. He is very appreciative of your help Mark and he respects you both alot, as do most if not all of us here. I thought his classic pass thread was hitting the nail on the head of WHY I ACTUALLY COME HERE! I mean, not all of us are coming here to discuss ethics and other such stuff; but personally I think it's Mark's forum and he can discuss in it what he likes. I'm quite free to just avoid those threads that don't interest me. I think however that the OP, and Leroy, and maybe others have got a bit frustrated with some of that. To them I just say avoid those threads if they frustrate you. Mark's heart is in the right place; I'd just rather stick to learning sleights for now, so I'll stick to those sorts of threads. It's not the end of the world!

I come here to learn about sleights, technique, finesse, the beautiful details of card magic is what I love exploring more than anything else. I have spent enough time in my life getting involved in debates and dramas that have added nothing positive to my own journey in life, so now I guess I'm being a bit selfish. I respect Mark's desire for a cleaner, more ethical world of magic but for me personally, the time I devote to magic is being purely devoted towards practise, performance and further learning, and it is paying off. I really don't have time to be doing that AND getting involved in the push for better ethics, exposing fraudsters and fakes, etc. But I do appreciate those who make their own efforts in this field.

On Leroy's classic pass thread, it's a great thread to have, and although I'm not practising my classic pass much at all at the moment, I am an avid pass collecter and its something I'll always be coming back to once in a while, and I look forward to posting back on that thread in the future as I improve, which by Zeus's testicles I will!! I think Leroy was expecting you both to contribute to the classic pass competition and in all honesty I think many including myself are surprised that you didn't enter, and here are my reasons..

Mark has the best classic pass on youtube and a pretty awesome one live (on webcam), and Albert does an extensive tutorial on... The Classic Pass.. But neither will post a quick vid of them doing it several times in a row on a thread in this.. their HOME forum..? That is a little strange, however one looks at it. And remember, the basic point of the whole classic pass thread was "show us your pass, whatever state it's in, then show it to us after you've improved". This is what everyone else did. Some didn't do STRICTLY CLASSIC passes, but they were allowed in, because its all still worth it in the spirit of learning and sharing! Group hug But, could it be that you guys just aren't doing the "classic" at all any more and so have discarded it altogether, kinda like me? If not then you must understand why there are sounds of chickens clucking faintly in the background, at least I think that's what I am hearing! And even if you have not done it for ages, like me, then you gotta just grow Rambo-nuts, like me, and give it a quick practise and film it anyway.. Say it after me... "I'm a tiger! Grrrrr!"

I know you both are very down to earth guys, and are not completely obsessed with self-image (well, maybe a bit), and although you are legendary in some sense, you are very real in others, and certainly not above warming up for ten minutes and just posting a quick vid of your classic pass! It really isn't a big deal But hey, I still love you both.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM   #24
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

I originally signed up on here for the classic pass and my improvement of it.

Than I started going through the threads realizing magic is more than a move, it's like a dance.

There may be moves in the dance, but the dance IS those moves coming together as one. To me it seems demeaning to the performer if one were to expect to see a performance of one move from their dance only. The correct approach, in my opinion I guess, would be to ask for advice of the move they did in their dance. What they did while practicing and perfecting it into what it is. Asking for a little help and advice is understandable, but there is a line to be drawn obviously. The contest was on where you are at, than your improvement from there.

So, as eager as we all our to see entries by people who are "dancing" with their magic, you can probably see now that there is a better way of approaching the situation.

Peace
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:30 AM   #25
Kelan
kittydakat

Let me just toss my opinion out here:

Leroy, that was pretty selfish and disrespectful of you. Personally, I'm a perfectionist. I don't want to put something up if it's not done to the best of my abilities. I know that If I were to post a video, it wouldn't be my best- I haven't practiced the sleight in awhile now.

Also, If you don't like the magic exposed threads, don't read them. It's not drama. It's called the truth. It's just like committing a crime- if they got away with it, what would stop them from doing it again?

Again, I find it pretty selfish of you to expect Albert and Mark to enter your contest. I completely understand Albert's situation as I think you should as well.

Cya.
Kelan is offline   Reply With Quote