Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Old 05-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
CrazyInMagic

Default Jonathan Kamm’s The Pass Professional Tutorial download (Kammmagic Production)

There are only a couple of magicians that are known for their amazing passes: Akira Fujii, Mark Hilkemeijer, Alex Pandrea and Jonathan Kamm. I got the last one’s tutorial quite a while ago so I decided to write this review on it.

The View
The video starts off with Jonathan Kamm performing the pass 18 times in a row from the front and the two diagonal points of view. I think it is performed a bit too much and it is filmed too low instead of at a spectator’s point of view so you can see it flash. It does however becomes clear that you should not have your hands burned when doing this pass because you can see the shifts occur.

The Grip/The Movement
Jonathan shows you the grip and movement clearly, filmed from the back. He doesn’t go in detail but leaves that for the next section.

The Mechanics
In this section Jonathan explains the mechanics using transparent blocks although I think this was a little unnecessary because everything could be seen with the deck too and he still needed to turn his hands to show which fingers do which actions. Everything is very clear although there are a lot of things moving. The right hand provides a big cover but most of the deck cannot be seen due to this.

The Rock
Jonathan explains the rock motion, how to keep it as small as possible and why this is necessary. I felt like I suddenly gained ten years seeing this because although everything Jonathan says is very important I find these rock motions a bit outdated because they show an obvious motion which shouldn’t be there, even when done as small as Jonathan’s. Other than that it’s all fine.

LePaul Automatic Jog Control
After Interception and the Repulse Control this was the third source I learned this from. It is the only way Jonathan teaches to get a break. The only bad thing is that the way it was taught made it sound like the LePaul Jog Control is actually some kind of pass itself, the LaPaul Automatic Jog being the way to get the break and the Control being the pass. This may be a bit confusing for beginners but nothing major.

Misdirection
In this section Jonathan gives a couple of options to cover the pass in the actions. Nothing groundbreaking but very crisp and clear. I noticed Jonathan added a bit of fiddling and dribbling to finish the pass saying it looked like he’s squaring up the deck while it definitely did not look like that at all. I think this is the biggest mistake of this tutorial because beginners who learn it from this tutorial will most likely add the fiddling to the pass too and that wouldn’t be a good thing at all.

Performance Tips
This section is more about beginner and practicing tips than about actual performance tips. Jonathan is one of those classic magicians who say that a pass takes years and years to master but he did also say that after a month you could perform it which was a relief and made me lose the ten years I had gained earlier.

Pros of the tutorial in general
  • Very easy to understand.
  • Detailed on the classic pass.
  • Technical pros: Nicely edited. There is nothing fancy going on which I think is fine.

Cons of the tutorial in general
  • Just one kind of pass.
  • It doesn’t go in detail on the angles.
  • Only for right handed people. Left handed people would have to mirror this themselves.
  • Technical cons: The view section is far too long and should have been filmed from the audience’s point of view instead of this low.

Recommended?
Not really. I would expect more for the $17.50 it used to be back when I got this and $12.50 still seems a bit too much for what you get. It only covers one pass and the mechanics seem a little outdated because the cover hides most of the deck from view and it still is meant to be done under misdirection.
CrazyInMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
Magician777card
TaylorMagician7

User channel on YouTube

I agree completely. Didn't really learn much from it though :/
Magician777card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Kieran Oloughlin

Not very proffesional then is it?
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #4
Chili

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyInMagic View Post
There are only a couple of magicians that are known for their amazing passes: Akira Fujii, Mark Hilkemeijer, Alex Pandrea and Jonathan Kamm.
BRO!!!1

YOU FORGOT MY NAME FROM DIS LIST!!!

I CAN BE BETTA THAN ALL THIS GUYS BUT I JUZT DONT WANT TO!!!

CAN YOU PLEASEE ADD MA NAME TO DA LIST, THAKNS BRO!!!
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

this is no place for a joke, and there was no need to revive a dead thread.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Chili

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
this is no place for a joke, and there was no need to revive a dead thread.
IT OK MR la0o9

DIS THREAD IS A ZOMBIE NOW!!!
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote