Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
IdioticGod

User channel on YouTube
Question 3 card monte - Magician's way

Hey guys, does any of you know good, ungimmicked presentations of 3 card monte as magic? The only one I know is the "This and That" card trick, but it's in the storytelling "format", so there's not that much interaction with the spectators (I mean, it's a great illusion, and there is room for interaction, but not as much as the original 3 card monte). Skinner's Monte looks good, but I'm kind of a germaphobe when it comes to magic, I don't touch it if it's not clean (aside from some very rare exceptions).

Also, what do you think about this kind of effect? Good if presented the right way, always good, always sucks... Oh, and if you could justify, that would be great. (If you absolutely can't... well, I understand. Don't worry, I won't be mad. No, seriously, I won't. Ok, maybe a little. Not much, though)
IdioticGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
TheWezku
-W

I perform the "this and that" trick with different presentation moves are basically the same but i just tell a story when i was in paris and got fooled by the 3 card monte or something like that... if you want to fool the spectator with three card monte just DO the three card monte there is alsoe one monte effect thats good... its daniel garcias effect where he does like faceup monte i dont really remember the name for that trick though...

3 card monte tricks are allways good if presented right it fools the spectator and its awesome packet effect.
TheWezku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
TheFourAces

This version is just like This and That, but I think it doesn't need any blank cards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...HWOnQ0QHgTVqOg

Other than that, I rarely use 3 card monte.
TheFourAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Arnau

User channel on YouTube

A three card monte can be an amazing trick if well presented. I will try to upload a video of my ungimmicked version
Arnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

David Stone has a really good one that combines the gambling part, interacting alot with the audience, and then a magical part, when the card does some crazy turns over, then is took away, and reapears between the other two cards. I never do 3card monte routines, but if i did, i would do that one, impromptu, no gimmicks, seems funny to do.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 AM   #6
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

i usually present the 3 card monte as a sort of scam, so i go at a really quick pace. Also, i prepare more than one method to get the 3 card monte effect so people usually can't see through the lies( not illusion, lie). But it's not something i do a lot tho...
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #7
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

Personally, I love monte effects, and that weird guy ^ talks about a book that can help you if you are interested in the works of the 3 card monte, non-gimmicked, and capable of mastery

Yes, there are extremely few videos and effects using the monte, mostly because it is so simple and the majority of monte artists are grifters, who can also be pickpockets and fly cops [undercover police] which give the 3 card monte a hidden face, since the really impressive and amazing monte is done by those who really don't want their faces on youtube lol

The book is really good though, its a 20 page text and every page is worth digesting, Ive only started to understand it and I impressed myself earlier today when I was practicing
Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Good vid, Red.

However, I cannot agree with that a 'Three-Card Monte' needs to be repeatable. Yes, it needs to be unfair to the spectators, but if it needs to be repeatable, what if you indeed end with different cards (different backed cards, three of a kind, three totally different cards or such)?

Just remember, if you want to keep it ungimmicked, you will just rely on sleights in order to achieve the effect. It'd be difficult to do a change kicker and you'd be pretty much stuck with the corner or card bend or rip since you don't feel like using gimmicks.

As for the presentation on its own, you could of course always go with the classic, which is what the game, obviously inspired on the 'Shell Game' ('Three Shells And A Pea') is based on: "I bet you can't find it."
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
thetophatfirm
Red

User channel on YouTube

Thank you Mark

I see how you mean on the three card monte, that it can be climactic and used for illusion as well as the playing game, lets hope I can figure out a balance lolol