Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Lounge > General Discussions
Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
Kieran Oloughlin

Default What do the magicians at darksleightz do?

Title says it all.
I am curious as what the darksleightz macigians actually do.
Do they perform prfoseonally full time or part time. DO they teach? WHAT DO THEY DO??? Do you guys meet up onece or twice a week and discuss and create magic or do you go to wherever you guys go evryday as a job. Or do you guys not meet up at all and live in diffrent countries.

Sorry if I seem to be intruding but I am so darn curious.

Oh and to both mark and albert are you in school or univertisy or something or is magic a full time profession?
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

To my knowledge, Mark is still a student in school. I do not know much about Albert.

Some of the DSZ magicians live a far distance from each other. Mark lives in the Netherlands, and I believe Albert is from Canada. If you have been keeping up, Mark plans to release some tutorials this year around, teaching some of the amazing effects presented to us. Albert already does these things, but not for DSZ.

I am not 100% sure, but if Albert and Mark would like to correct me, that is even better.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 AM   #3
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

The 1st 3 DSZ artists are all from the Netherland( i think) and their channels are without a non-DSZ performance, so i think Mark and them meet up from time to time to discuss stuffs( which also leads me to believe that the other 2 are pros), but Albert is in Canada as a uni student so i think he is part of DSZ jveust to be able to discuss things online. I belive Mark said that he was a musician before a magician, so i think most of his income are from his music and his magic is a part of his hobbies( so the 2 most active DSZ members aren't pros... may be...).

And as a most common rule of magic and the only rule so far in DSZ that i know of: magicians don't reveal their magic. So.... no, they DON'T teach( not anymore at least, Albert used to have these YT tutorials... very detailed and unrivalled by anyone on YT, may be on sales as well).

Oh yea, and the latest DSZ member, i haven't interacted with him much... so idk...
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

So I guess most of it's already been said, and I'm not very sure about the other artists so I'll just put up what I do.

I'm a university student in Canada, so I can only practice magic a bit. Mostly during the holidays or breaks, I talk with Mark almost daily about magic and other things to come up with new ideas. I do youtube tutorials, but that's going to be stopped except for flourishes and such. I sometimes do professional acts when I get the time and my first release will be out soon by DSZ (as soon as I can get that last video done )

As a DSZ artist, I understand DSZ's main role is to show the world that magic is an art form. Undoubtedly, Mark has greatly changed how I perceive magic to be. In other words, DSZ's role is to keep the art alive, not to just expose it out into the world and tell people that magic isn't real. "We" want to make people feel like they just entered into another realm of impossibilities happening right in the their faces and make them doubt about if magic really exists or not. At least, this is how I perceive it.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 AM   #5
Mark

User channel on YouTube

My turn!

Every single one of our artists is at university at the moment. Let's give you a little more transparency on the staff, the teams and such:

The staff
The staff only counts two people: Richard as our product manager and I as the founder and CEO. The two of us run our support system and the YouTube channel as well, the latter one together with our graphic artist Dennis, a freelancer. Dennis is part of our network of freelancers who are ready to make cover designs, title animations, music tracks and more for us at anytime.

Main Team
Our assistants, technicians, students and I are on the main team. The assistants, Toine (my main student) and I meet as a group at least once every three weeks as for now, and every week during vacation periods. That is, the ones who are in the neighbourhood because for instance at this moment, two of our assistants are studying in the UK and obviously can't join us at the next meetings. We all talk to each other regularly in both real life and online one-on-one sessions too though.

The main thing we do is sharing ideas and making the best out of everything. The ones who come up with the original ideas and/or with the main methods take the credits, but if you see two names in the credits of an effect it could very well mean that actually six of us have been working on it.

Our main team counts 14 part-time contracted members.

Online Team
The magicians that you see on YouTube are the ones that are on the online team and they actually are individuals rather than a team. Basically, they are the ones we discovered on the web and have the skills and potential to raise the bars and to spread the latest revolution of magic art, which somewhat means that we try to get the art both forward as for the evolution of tricks and backward as for making the art something "exclusive" for everyone again, including most nowadays magicians.

We have 4 online members: Albert, Eoghan, Carlten and Rachel who is yet to be introduced. We are also trying to get more offline artists film stuff for our YouTube channel (Miss Fa being one of them) but those are still on the offline team instead. The main difference between the online and offline artists is that the online ones don't have any contract.

Offline Team of International Performers
We also have some performers all over the globe who got our permission to perform in our company's name. Those belong to the offline team of international performers. They are individuals just like the online artists, yet they aren't making videos and are actively performing instead.

There are 4 of those artists.

Although all the artists are currently studying at university, this doesn't mean that we aren't professionals. For quite some of us performing magic is the only source of income, and even the whole company is running on magic performance incomes at the moment.

Hope this clears it all up.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote