Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
TheSecretFire

First off, sorry this reply is late, I've been really busy with some projects and my work.

CrazyInMagic:
Yes, I do see where you're coming from, and I do respect that you are concerned about the future of magic, though I think it's inappropriate to blatantly say that a fellow magician does not care about the art, especially when the person has made so many contributions to the art (which is why I replied to this thread in the first place).

I didn't forget to address JM's 'diehard supporters', I just didn't think it was necessary. If said supporters accept every word he says as truth, and are unable to think for themselves, this is hardly Justin's fault.

That whole section about 'fictional facts' had nothing to do with anything that JM has done wrong. It seemed as if you were just grabbing at strings, trying to come up with something else you could use against him, which is why I didn't spend much time on it in my previous post (it didn't support your argument).

Ouncesmusic: thank you for your contribution.

Des:
I'm not going to say much about "Merge" and "Cell spension", since I don't want to give anything away, and I think it's obvious that you don't have the download or know the secrets. So I'll stick with this: 99% of the time, you can use a borrowed pen for "Cell spension", if you see that a certain pen won't work, think fast and use your sharpie. If you feel you absolutely must use their pen, there's an easy way around the restriction - just be creative. The basic effect of "Merge" can be done with a borrowed deck, and with a little outside-the-box thinking, you can perform all the effects with a borrowed deck, once again, creativity is your friend.

As for Ascension, while it is a combination of the "Cardini Change" and "Clipshift", it is also a new application of the two moves. When someone performs an effect, they don't need to say: "At the moment, I'm doing a Marlo Tilt, and that last pass was created by Alexander Herrmann". Now, during the tutorial/explanation of the effect, credits should be given to the creators of each move/sleight. And if you have the BOLD project, you would know that credits are given to Nelson, and the clipshift is not taught, but rather he references you to buy Nelson's work. The "Cardini Change" is 'sleightly' modified for the effect.

That whole section about cutting trailers is easily explained: the purpose is to cover up sleights that would otherwise go unnoticed during a live performance. You can't rewind reality, but you can replay video. The cuts are there so that potential customers get the same experience that an audience would, without the ability to reverse-engineer the effect.

Double Stuff is more of a one-on-one type lecture, so it wouldn't really make sense to have a trailer. Last Word is not so much a trick/effect as it is an experience, and due to the very personal nature, it would be a bad idea to have a live performance as a trailer, and it's not really something that can be done well for the imaginary spectator.

Yes, the WH Transpo does use a comination of age-old sleights, but guess what? So does "As Predicted by Sid" and "The Chosen One" and "Automated ACAAN", so where's Mystery Mark's exposure thread (not bashing you Mark, just making a point, and "The Chosen One" is brilliant)?

The foul language/swearing is a personal choice. I believe that the audience should remember a performer not just by what they can do, but for who they are, so it's up to the performer to determine how they want to be remembered. If he was, say, signing cards with obscenities, or 'spelling' swear words to find cards, or telling the specs stuff like: "F*** off, I'm a magician", then that would be a disgrace to the art, and I would definitely not support his work. Read my previous post for more on this.

"Why on Earth would you torrent something and then pay for it?" To make sure that the creator/producer gets paid for their work. Sometimes you'll come across a company that doesn't accept paypal or money orders, so you have to go to the location (which could be in a different country) to purchase the material. I'm not saying that what JM did is right, but he at least tried to make amends for it - most people wouldn't bother.

No, I don't think that torrenting warrants a thead here. It's usually illegal/frowned upon, but it is such a commonplace act, and it's not much different from listening to music on Youtube, or ripping a friend's CD/DVD - you are gaining copyrighted material without paying for it. But that example aside, if torrenting really does warrant a thread here, then I should probably start one for my buddy Juan, and his buddy, Rico, and one for my friend Anthony (who is a magician), and maybe one for a past professor, who torrented an out-of-print textbook, etc.

With regards to the Magic Alert section, I realize that standing up for the exposed is not a common thing to do on this forum. I also realize that at least one user on here (and a prominent one at that) is one of those who refers to Justin as "THE CONTRADICTOR" behind his back, and while I do not agree with everything JM does (I can see how he got the nickname), I still believe it is very disrespectful and dishonorable, to refer to Justin (or anyone) in such a manner.

I'd like to conclude by saying that since JM made a public statement of: "F*** the industry", then rejoined them, he should also make a public statement explaining his reasoning and maybe something along the lines of: "Okay, I was wrong, I can't do this by myself just yet, un-f*** the industry". I am by no means a 'diehard' supporter of Justin, but I will always stand up for what (or who) I believe is right, regardless of opposition, and I also have respect for others who do the same, even if they have a different perspective from my own.

In Magic,
TheSecretFire
TheSecretFire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, enduremiller, exposure, justin miller