Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Theatre > In The Streets > More
Notices

Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #1
zachcloseupmagic

User channel on YouTube
Great Magicians From The Dead

Hey guys, I know the artists at Darksleightz are all about "modern" magic and trying to push magic forward as an art form. But, they had to get inspired by someone who is older than them. Most of magicians are inspired to learn, perform, and create magic because of older magicians such as Lennart Green, Tony Slydini, Larry Jennings etc... I for one am the biggest fan of the great Mr. Ed Marlo (1908-1991) I learned the basics of card magic from watching and reading his material. Well here is my question for you, if you could bring anyone of your magical forefathers back from the dead who would it be? My 2 would have to be either Ed Marlo or S.W Erdnase. Peace out homies.
zachcloseupmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Yup, I sure was inspired by people older than me But unfortunately, both my biggest inspirations are still alive... wait... I meant fortunately

I practically learned the basics of card magic from online sites, reading how to perform beginner magic tricks in which the author was not named after. But this is quite an interesting topic. I would like to hear more from others.
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #3
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Well obviously Dai Vernon, but thinking a bit more I'd have to say Jean Hugard for card magic and T. Nelson Downs for coin magic

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I honestly am inspired by everything I see and have seen, both good and bad magic done by professionals, amateurs and everything in between, just to make the best out of it. Although I have favorite magicians, as mentioned in my Q&A video, I don't get inspired more or less by those than by others.

To answer the question, I would definitely choose for Tommy Wonder. He should've still been alive anyways, so instead of having old magician zombies return, I'd like to keep it a little more flesh.. err.. fresh.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Unfortunately, my inspiration to actually enter the art is not someone who you'd know of, and he's not in the trade anymore i think( the classic cup and balls routine and cut and restored rope, 2 effects that got me so astonished, i HAD to enter the art, but the magician wasn't all that good with presentation, i think his natural appearance was what lured in kids). And my inspirations to keep on practicing and coming up with new ideas are still alive so i can't really bring anyone back to life.

But if it's to answer the question, i'd like to see John Scarne alive, i admire his level of technique and his effect that is Scarne's Aces.
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #6
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
But if it's to answer the question, i'd like to see John Scarne alive, i admire his level of technique and his effect that is Scarne's Aces.
Oh my.. right after I submitted my post I was thinking of him too! Definitely my second choice!
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

The person who got me started with magic wasn't even a magician. He was my role model, though. He knew only a few things. I saw a video he posted up of basic Sleight of Hand, and that's when it hit me. If you're curious, the person who got me started is also the person in my quote.

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dead magicians