Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCardician View Post
There are quite some differences between my move and his move...... He is correct when saying that this is an improvement on an existing principle...... Rick gives about 2-3 minutes of Crediting and talks about the principle being old as hell(which is true), he does credit Ernest Earick and tells where the "Bow to Stern" Control can be found ("By Forces Unseen"). So basicly the guy did his job
Good to hear from someone who really knows their stuff concerning this move and agrees with me. No Mark, I wasn't missing a thing, and that's the point I know the DPS is very different to the Bow-to-stern for various and important reasons. My point was clear enough but I'll make it again: Rick and Albert have added enough of their own adjustments to the originals to warrant a new name; the moves were both very nicely updated. Again, I was never talking about the product page, only the tutorial itself, in which everything is done VERY well. I saw the product page, bought the tutorial, and by the end of it I knew where to do more research thanks to the extensive crediting. I was a happy customer and think this constant T11-bash-athon is getting boring.. But I'm not trying to stop anyone; I'll just avoid threads like this in future where possible.

A final point or two before I exit the world of ethics and expose's to get on with the much more fun hobby of learning and creating magic:

In all seriousness, the fact that some of the people who only watch the trailer and look at the product page but don't buy the tutorial are not going to get a thorough history lesson and crediting on this move is just not a big deal and I don't believe its a reason to be making Theory 11 out to be dishonest! Anyone who really want's to know about it's crediting/history will either buy the move or read up on it. If someone watches a trailer and then bases their whole knowledge of that move on that trailer alone, then more fool them! They will of course have a limited education

If you go all out to "expose" some product or piece of advertising you better get your facts straight first. In this case several things had been said about Rick's move that were simply not true. I should not have had to wait for BCardician to come in and back me up regarding the glaringly obvious differences between the moves, but thank god he did. I fear had he not chimed in we would have a generation of Mark and Albert fans who were indeed completely misinformed about the details of the move and Mr. Lax himself!! How ironic since their goal is to make everything as clear as possible In the process of doing this they have smeared Mr. Lax's character and misnamed the move as being the BTS when it clearly is not. I know you wanted to highlight the problems you see with the product page Albert, but you did also say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
Rick Lax knew very well that this is called the Bow-to-Stern Control. Knowing that, it has been renamed HighRise and from now on, it will be known as HighRise by 99% of the people.......they will say "Oh, It's Rick's new move."
Fin, imagine someone took a song of yours you composed, switched a few notes around......That's the situation here.
You know as well as anyone that a few differences in finger positioning are no small thing in card magic. Saying two moves with different names are the same when they clearly are not is hardly just a slight error in judgement. If we are going to be exposing others we really should get everything straight FIRST should we not? And with all due respect to yourself Albert, you didn't here. Yes, you and Mark do have the respect of many people, so getting things accurate is a must if you are going to be having a dig at other people/companies in such a public way as this.

For the benefit of anyone who has been confused by some of the things said by Mark and Albert in this thread about "High Rise", I think we can now be clear that:

- The major differences between High Rise and Earicks move are blindingly obvious, not slight at all. The overall effect is the same; the handling is quite different!
- The move is not a copy of "Blind Square" either!
- Rick is completely justified in releasing this under a new name
- He did not just steal the move and rename it AT ALL
- He thoroughly credited Ernest Earick and others during the tutorial
- In several respected magicians opinions there are problems with the lack of crediting on the product page that should be resolved
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote