Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 AM   #4
Wyattsb

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
I suppose Criss Angel would be a better example for this, using camera tricks and lying to other magicians the whole time.
That makes sense, but I used you specifically because you don't use camera tricks and such, and we believe you, while Criss Angel does use them, and we don't believe him. I wanted an example of someone who did use these techniques, and we did believe them, so I went hypothetical.

On the subject of stooges, is there a difference between me flat out pre organising something for a sepctator to think of and how they will react when I 'read' their mind, and giving him a torn corner of a card to sneak into someone's pocket for a more powerful reveal when I 'tear' it off later. In both cases still only one person knows the secret, the experience isn't detracted for the rest of the audience any more in either situation.

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveroG View Post
We must also consider the fact that the secret of the effect is not what makes it magic, the combination between the presentation, technique (This includes not only sleight of hand but audience management techniques, theatrical techniques, communication techniques and so on) and other factors is what creates that atmosphere where we don't really care about the effect, but to be amazed (Ascanio theory).
An excellent point, perhaps magicians would may even be purely rewarded not on the impossibility of the effect, but entirely on their performance skills, much more so than they are now, an interesting idea. I guess like what Mark was saying , the no technical skill stuff.
Wyattsb is offline   Reply With Quote