Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube
Default Review on Sick by Ponta the Smith

I recently got time to check it out, and finally watched through everything and grasp all the materials. Now I'll try and give the best review I can come up with.

1st off is the resolution, the DVD have very good resolution and everything is quite easy to see, both from performance view and exposed view. I give 4.5/5 for quality

2nd is the quality of the material, it is definitely not for new guys, some of the stuffs in there take not just a lot of time in your hand to practice but also time to think about the material received, because of the 3rd aspect. I'll give 5/5 for difficulty(1: extremely easy, can be done right away, 2: good for show after a day of practice, 3: average, at least a week of practice before show worthy, 4: hard, needs interest as well as a long time, 5: Very hard, probably won't be able to nail a flash-less performance in front of a mirror after just a few hours of practice)

3rd is the teaching, Ponta is an awesome magician, but his teachings aren't your normal detailed tutorials, the whole DVD is around half an hour long with all the materials, it might take a good 15 re-runs of a tutorial( or part of a tutorial) to grasp everything in it, because he doesn't talk in them and there is some techniques he only show you in exposed view and slow motion but not actually how to do them, you can only look at his hand many times( it's actually easy because he zooms in on some of them) and guess how to do them. All that plus the difficulty of the moves equals a very hard to swallow DVD, unless you're familiar with the move already, i think it will take a good half year before you get a single trick ready for a live street performance. I'll give 3/5 for the teaching, cause it makes people who aren't committed to learn it fustrated and help filter the world of magic from the bad performers

4th, overall, covering everything that doesn't fit in the above 3 categories, Each routine is covered 4 times, 1st time is spectator's point of view and full speed performance, 2nd is a moderately well taught tutorial, covering each move and stops from time to time, telling you the names of the hard moves so that you can search them up and learn them better than he could teach you, 3rd is a slowed performance from the magician's POV, no stops so that you can see everything that's happening, 4th is a full speed performance from the magician's POV.

Please feel free to add/correct me on anything that i missed, or ask about the things regarding the content of the DVD that i didn't mention, after all, two or more heads are much better than one.
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
LittleLead
The New Guy

User channel on YouTube

I didnt like the fact that there was no talking in it lolz, but the quality was nice.