Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Marketer > Magic Which?
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-02-2012, 01:16 AM   #2
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I absolutely 100% agree with everything you've said Mark.

The bottom control looks great but is very different to the top control or the BTS. I like the bottom control and look forward to mastering it.

I feel slightly differently about the top control. I have studied the original "Bow To Stern" by Earick, and bought "High Rise" by Rick Lax, and I bought this most recent release, "Blind Square" by BCardician. I bought "Blind Square" because the trailer looks awesome and Bizau's handling looks very loose and relaxed, so I wanted to see what he is doing different. I also like the option of being able to leave the selection supposedly out-jogged as this is one thing Bizau has added.

Having watched the tutorial I like what he's added to the top control, but only as an extra option. In other word's I may use his handling but only in certain situations, and I prefer the other handlings for how clean they look. I completely agree with Mark that essentially what the main additions have done is muddy up the effect somewhat, making it slightly less magical, and more flourishey. This is fine if that suits your style, don't get me wrong, but if the aim is to make the move look as clean and magical as possible, then the additions don't actually help, and in this sense I prefer the look of "High Rise" and the original BTS by Earick because they look cleaner and leave no room for suspicion, whereas BCardicians handling does unfortunately add a little room for suspicion, where it is not necessary. The flourishey sliding back of the top cards at the end, could, to many a layman, easily give them room to think that that in itself was a "move". Why would you want to give them that room?

On a more serious note I am very disappointed with the Blue Crown's approach to crediting, (of which there is NONE at the end of the video), and the overall lack of detailed instruction on what should really be a thoroughly taught move. The teaching is brief at best, and the most important points, such as (a) finger positions and (b) angle considerations, (INCREDIBLY important points with a move such as this) were (a) barely mentioned, and (b) completely ignored! This is shocking IF the aim of the Blue Crown is to teach their products well so that they can be performed well. It is closer to an exposure video than a real tutorial. BCardician shows you HOW the move works. But I certainly wouldn't call this good teaching. This is not a dig at BCardician, who is a great guy. This criticism is aimed more at the management of the Blue Crown, who will be making the decisions about how much detail and time they want to take in their releases. This wasn't so bad for me, since I know a lot about the move already, but for a beginner approaching this move I would find it quite daunting to try to learn it to an acceptable standard using the brief overview you are given in this release.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote