Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Playing Cards
Notices

Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 PM   #1
zachcloseupmagic

User channel on YouTube
Question Playing Card Collecting

Hey guys, I have been doing alot of searches around the internet for people with playing card collections and there are some really great, hardcore collectors out there. I am one of those collectors. I am unbelievably addicted to playing cards it is scary. The way they look, feel, everything about cards I love. I want to know your feelings on card collecting, why do you love playing cards. What drives you to keep spending your money on these amazing products, I really would like to know how other people think.
zachcloseupmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #2
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

They are like drugs, like rice is a drug to Asians. I open a new package, I sniff them and I get high. It's like you are in a card paradise.

Haha somewhat of a joke, but, I personally don't really collect too many cards, except for rarer ones, such as the bicycle 1st collectors edition that I have. It looks really nice in my opinion. Other than that, I just keep a couple of spare decks, but I don't think I can call that collecting
Albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
LittleLead
The New Guy

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
like rice is a drug to Asians.
lmao great sterotype
LittleLead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #4
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Well, the only thing that keeps me spending money on them is their designs, when i do things, i usually feel like showing off as well as giving them a good time, and a crappy old deck of cards with typical designs isn't helping me much with the 1st aspect, so...

@Albert: lol, way to stereotype things
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
TheMisdirectingHand
David Nguyen

User channel on YouTube

I don't have the money to collect cards. I only have three decks... two without their boxes. But, if you want to know...

I have the limited edition one-of-a-kind SUPER RARE destroyed-warped-ripped-bent Bicycle deck with the invisible deck box that I cannot even feel!

•People who talk and never do: The Lower Class

•People who talk and do at the same time: The Middle Class

•People who do before they ever talk: The Upper Class

A real man does not need to talk. We are the upper class."

-Joseph Lau
TheMisdirectingHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
Asad
Phantom At the Card Table

User channel on YouTube

I am going to start a deck collection soon. I really enjoy a good back design with simple faces. I cant stand these eye popping decks like the vipers etc.
Asad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Jordan

User channel on YouTube

I've only got the 2 decks - a blue back Bicycle bridge size and the Tally ho fan back black viper deck.
However - I would LOVE to start a collection, I love the way new cards feel and the way they handle; especially when fanning.
Alas - I won't be able to start collecting anytime soon, not a lot of money coming in at the moment.
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Noodles

User channel on YouTube

Here is my collection. I just like collecting. You guys should see my yugioh collection. Yeah. Or maybe not.

And one more thing, some cards don't smell very good. Some smell really plasticy, ya know what i mean? Its like you want to puke.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 AM   #9
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Here is my collection. I just like collecting. You guys should see my yugioh collection. Yeah. Or maybe not.

And one more thing, some cards don't smell very good. Some smell really plasticy, ya know what i mean? Its like you want to puke.
Nice! Good to see someone having more Arrco's than Bikes.

I used to be a diehard collector for a couple of months but I gave up on it. In the end, many of the decks are just taking space as I don't and won't us them.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 AM   #10
Kieran Oloughlin

My favourite pack (my blue masters deck) smell like greesy hair. YUM!
Kieran Oloughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

I have recently got into collecting cards and buying/selling them. I have found that if you go to various forums you can find great deals and then sell them on ebay for a better price (one rare recent example is a white cent deck I found for $80 then sold for 150). Also, since my camera is horrible quality, heres a list of most of my collection:

Gold arcane (currently reselling, I got from E's promotion)
2 brown wynn
4 english laundry
Dr leon black
bee erdnase
bicycle gold/silver
bicycle titanium red/blue
red/blue bikes
white/black arcane
black viper circle back
bee stinger (red)
smoke and mirrors v3 set, v4, 5 v5s
magic con deck
Not yet available to the public set of erdnase 1902 blue smith back (one cambric one ivory)
bee rjrtc watermelon red
bicycle guardian
various gaff/trick decks (stripper, svengali, blank face, invisible, bicycle gaff)

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube
Great

I'd really like to try out some Aladdins but they are pretty hard to come by. I must admit I wasn't all that impressed with the Expert at the card table deck, maybe it's the finish? Probably my favourites are my Bicycle vintage series (Saftey back) for design, and for handling either standard riderbacks or Studs, cause they are cheap! Hoyle shellbacks are pretty neat. Oh, and I'm not a fan of black decks.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ------
TommySteal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
smeets

@ TommySteal
I'm not really a collector and I don't know a lot about cards (just started 1 year ago with cardmanipulation), so I can be wrong, but I think the1eyedjack.com sells Aladdins for a very reasonable price..
smeets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 PM   #14
ShadiTheMagician
ShadiTheMagician

User channel on YouTube

Because cards are awesome !
ShadiTheMagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeets View Post
@ TommySteal
I'm not really a collector and I don't know a lot about cards (just started 1 year ago with cardmanipulation), so I can be wrong, but I think the1eyedjack.com sells Aladdins for a very reasonable price..
I'll check out the site, very helpful indeed
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #16
s13zeTheDay

User channel on YouTube

Just to let you know, the main difference between bikes and eatct decks is the stock. The eatct decks are much softer, while bikes are sturdier (with minor differences in the finish). The main difference with aladdins is their stock- they are smooth finish instead of the dimpled/air cushion finish of both bikes and eatct decks. It's called ivory (vs. cambric), and I personally don't care for it very much, but they're interesting to try

--Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study In Scarlet
s13zeTheDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:25 PM   #17
Fin

User channel on YouTube

I love buying new decks. I've only been into card magic for a few months but I must have over 50 decks. That's mainly because I've been looking for the one which handles the best and ages well so I know what to buy as my regular deck, but I also just like to have the variety, since different decks can feel so different from each other. Some are definitely better suited to certain tricks than others plus the bend of each deck becomes slightly different depending on which moves you are doing most with it. For instance the deck I practice my one-handed shuffles, passes, fans and flourishes with is awful if I want to do the Hurricane change because it is bowed the wrong way. Also with some decks the cards cling to each other more than others, making moves like the erdnase/hurricane change harder to do consistently, so for that it's gotta be a nice smooth deck. Some cards have sharper edges, Bee stingers for instance, making for sore fingers when practicing certain moves that involve a tight grip. Some cards hold their shape well, which makes them better for tricks where you are going to bend the card and then want it to straighten out properly later (Ambitious Card bend move anyone?). There are so many other things I haven't mentioned which make the subtle differences between decks so important.

In case you can't tell I have fallen in love with card magic, and I LOVE cards, and since I'm practicing tricks nearly every single day its just really nice to be able to pick a different deck each time to keep things feeling fresh. Also being into art I really appreciate the different back designs of some decks, and some of the black decks look wonderful for colour changes since the red stands out so much more.
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
Kelan
kittydakat

I have around 25 decks. I love the rush of ripping off the cellophane and breaking open the seal. I also like to check if there are any defects in the deck. I've never gotten one yet, but it would be cool to have.. =)

I have 4 Arrco's Mark! (The ones made in Ohio) Boo Yah!
Kelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #19
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Kittydakat that really surprises me. I've had plenty of defects (but I do have over 100 decks). But I guess it depends on how picky you are. Check out the borders on the back of the cards.. There are often several which have slightly off centre borders. Also where the numbers and pips are on the face of the cards, it is not unusual to see that in one corner the number is closer to the edge than on the opposite corner. In other words, off-centre-printing. I spot it all the time and it regularly causes me to lose sleep
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #20
Randy
Hobby Magician

User channel on YouTube

This is my collection im not a die hard collector .
and i bought recently 3 decks of Bicycle Spades Eagle backs .

Tags
card, collecting, playing