Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

See, I love mentalism for that reason, but there are also drawbacks to it that I don't like too much. Children or the younger audience don't appreciate mentalism as much (as many times they like visual things better) and secondly, mentalism doesn't hit non-participants as hard as participants in terms of its 'amazingness' (that's not even a word ).

One of the reasons I started this thread was due to this recent title I am being given as a 'magician'. In English, a magician can be easily interpreted as someone who does magic, not simply magic tricks. In other words, a magician implies someone being able to do the 'black arts', making things vanish, levitate, burn, etc. In Korean, there is a clear cut line on what a 'magician' is: a person who does magic tricks. It doesn't imply someone who is able to perform something bigger and more magic-like. Someone beyond petty tricks is I guess what one could call a wizard or a magi or a sorcerer. I guess my point is that I feel really bad being called a simple trickster because I want people to feel and believe they are really seeing magic, not just petty tricks. I feel like I'm not doing my job, no matter how well I perform a trick, a lot of the times because they are with cards.

That's why I'm looking for something greater that I can work on; something that can't be excused away by sleight-of-hands. Of course, mentalism aside that is I actually should work more on mentalism...