Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
The_Logical_Magician

User channel on YouTube

Hey thanks for the insight! I must confess that I am a sleight freak , I just love learning advanced, deceptive sleights and using them in my routines, but some times I have some effects which even though only rely on sleight of hand, contain some gimmicks. Here's what I mean:

I have my own handling on a blank deck routine which doesn't require helper gimmicks, in the sense that even though there are blank faced cards, they are shown in the end and all is examinable.
I have also created a very simple routine where four cards continuously change: they're first all jokers, then they are all double-backers, then they are all aces of spades and finally they prove to all be blank faced cards (it's basically a false count bonanza ).

The problem with these effects is that it renders the spectators aware of the existance of such cards. Many laymen don't even know cards are sometimes printed with both sides as backs or with a blank side(s). It might even ruin the effect for them since they start to suspect almost anything (mostly absurd "anythings", but anything).

So in my opinion, impromptu card effects are number 1 by far. But some gimmicked card effects can really be worthwhile so one shouldn't eliminate these from his arsenal. On the other hand, if I've learned something during performances, it's that to keep spectators interested and to keep your image clean you must:

-either use gimmicks that remain undetected and that you may ditch during your intermittent phases;

-either, if performing with shown gimmicks, take a new deck after you've finished with your gimmicks and hand it out to the spectators so they know that they're moving on to clean magic (something they find way more intriguing).

-or of course finally option 3 which is to burn all your gimmicks, although that's a bit harsh.

So let me know what you think about these ideas and until then, see ya.

PS:
@Mark: I did once use a one way deck as a ACR and it was so funny !!! I was lucky since my spectator had a rather low IQ though LOL. (But don't get the idea that I'm lazy, that was just for fun and as a test ... or was it?)
The_Logical_Magician is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gimmick use