Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Old 03-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
pacN

Default Problem performing Magic - need some help

Hey guys. I have been doing magic for 8 years now and i still have this problem when im performing magic. When i perform infrom of many people or people i don't know my hands stat to shake and i seem to do everything faster and faster until i fail. I mean it's not that im used to perform i just still can't get trid ot that shaky part and no i am not vervous when im performing my hands are just shaking...

and tips for this little problem of miine ?

thanks
pacN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Arnau

User channel on YouTube

It happens to me when the move is quiet new, but when I'm dong a trick that I've practised a lot, for a long time, I feel confident and don't shake at all. Try practising a lot until you do the trick without thinking.
Arnau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

well, i don't really have that much experience, so i can't say much, but the shaking may be because you thought about the performance too much, they say just to have fun when performing.

BTW, don't go into a trick thinking about the problem, go into it thinking about how you can do it so that the spectator enjoys it the most, that usually works for me.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by la0o9 View Post
BTW, don't go into a trick thinking about the problem, go into it thinking about how you can do it so that the spectator enjoys it the most, that usually works for me.
This is good advice I think!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

Agreed. The focus should be on "how can the spectator enjoy this the most." Doing so this way, I believe, creates or allows more interaction (like everyday conversation, which usually we are use to and engage into with confidence), compared to it being just an interaction of you doing some-thing for a person. Simple scripting (patter) can help concrete some confidence in the performance.

However, nerves are nerves. And sometimes, no matter how well we know we can perform something to ourselves, it can change knowing there's going to be a change of opinion about you, good or bad, from the person your performing for. We care what people think because, for most people, we want a good representation of ourselves when we are absent.

I get this when people ask me to play the piano too. I know a lot of different things to play but sometimes I freeze up and start messing up the song. But than it all comes together once I get into it and remember: The enjoyment of this art is far more rewarding than anything. This is the feeling I'm trying to share when performing magic or music.

Connecting with your audience can be difficult, but there are many ways, so find a way that helps take your mind off the fact that you're doing a "trick." What would you do or talk about if not performing?

"No pressure, no diamonds."
Thomas Carlyle. Philosopher, 1795-1881

"I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."
Charles Xavier
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #6
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Practise, practise, practise.... until you are so good at that effect that it almost bores you.. Then you will have less nerves, as performing it will be like riding a bike!
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #7
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

Stop doing techniques for a while and start doing self working effects, why? simple, self working effects make you forget that there's a technique, and gets YOU focused on the public, sometimes when we're doing effects with technique, we forget about the public, so when we see them again (you WILL see the again, or notice them), we suddendly remember there's people watching and you can fail and dissapoint them, this causes the shake. When the effect is selfworking, that problem never exists because you will be aware of the public the whole time, once you get used to the fact that you're constantly being watched, you can start adding techniques to your repertoire.

Other thing you can do, is remember that you should not care. If the effect goes wrong, is ok, there's always an exit, remember that you have the advantage of knowing what's going to happen next, so just relax and do your best, they don't pick the force? is ok, you can do something else, they want to shuffle your prepared deck (shit!) is ok, they can shuffle, you can improvise, keep that in mind and start solving your problem. You can read Tamariz' five points in magic for further information about presentation and handling of the crowd in general.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
pacN

wow, some many great tips. I sure will try some of them out. thanks a lot for these tips&tricks
pacN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
la0o9
Move monkey atm

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveroG View Post
they don't pick the force? is ok, you can do something else, they want to shuffle your prepared deck (shit!) is ok, they can shuffle, you can improvise, keep that in mind and start solving your problem.
lol, that part about shuffling a prepared deck cracked me up, improvising takes skills tho, and since he is having trouble doing things with skills( he says that he shakes), it's not really easy to improvise.
"It's a small world, but only relatively"
"Reality is not the world, it is the way humankind depicts the world, thus when you alter a person's way of seeing the world, you alter reality itself"
la0o9 is offline   Reply With Quote