Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Public Magic Discussions
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

Agreed. The focus should be on "how can the spectator enjoy this the most." Doing so this way, I believe, creates or allows more interaction (like everyday conversation, which usually we are use to and engage into with confidence), compared to it being just an interaction of you doing some-thing for a person. Simple scripting (patter) can help concrete some confidence in the performance.

However, nerves are nerves. And sometimes, no matter how well we know we can perform something to ourselves, it can change knowing there's going to be a change of opinion about you, good or bad, from the person your performing for. We care what people think because, for most people, we want a good representation of ourselves when we are absent.

I get this when people ask me to play the piano too. I know a lot of different things to play but sometimes I freeze up and start messing up the song. But than it all comes together once I get into it and remember: The enjoyment of this art is far more rewarding than anything. This is the feeling I'm trying to share when performing magic or music.

Connecting with your audience can be difficult, but there are many ways, so find a way that helps take your mind off the fact that you're doing a "trick." What would you do or talk about if not performing?

"No pressure, no diamonds."
Thomas Carlyle. Philosopher, 1795-1881

"I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."
Charles Xavier
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote