Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Theatre > In The Streets > Card magic
Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
nico360

User channel on YouTube
Default Let's talk real street magic

This is what magic is all about imo. I really wanna get better to practise/perform on the street.
Have you guys done it? Go out there and ask people if "they wanna see something" Maybe filmed it?
For those who haven't, what are you waiting for? Is it your goal?
I personnaly think I need more practise to be less nervous (as I said, I used to perform freestyle soccer, so I'm usually not nervous).
For those who did it, how did you start? Which tricks did you use in the beginning of your "street carreer"?
Which tricks had the most impact on people? What about ambitious card routine?
nico360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
theheron

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

I started just showing friends, you know, the one's that'll tell you how bad you failed if you flash? haha, but seriously, i started just showing my friends then eventually my confidence grew to show other people.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
OliveroG
Marcos Olivero

User channel on YouTube

Street magic is hard, almost as hard a restaurant magic, but not impossible; i believe that the secret to perform is to don't let the people have a choice (i mean, if you ask them, they can always say no); i generally just call their attention with a normal question (anything is good) then i produce something from them (a sponge ball is the best production, in your case, you can produce a deck of cards from your mouth, or coins from their ears maybe) the next after you got their attention is confirm that what they're seeing is good; a quick mindblowing effect (a double that transform into the selection into their bare hands is on good choice) and after that, you have em to play. Remember it's street magic, so don't take it too long, try to talk loudly so other people gets arround and there ya go. PD: After your act, you can always have a friend to ask for some money if they liked it.
OliveroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
KGaborMagic
K. Gábor

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

The only way you can be less nervous in street magic is to go out and perform. So the first few performances can be really hard (and bad).
The easier tricks are the best ones for the streets, and you need to have some angle-proof tricks as well, because the situation can often go sorrounded.
Other than that, it's really about just having a good time (even if you fail sometimes).
KGaborMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
abbiealto

u just start to show magics to your friends then u perform with others then you wont feel nervousness i hope ul do well if u practice this....
abbiealto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
ouncesmusic

User channel on YouTube

Is freestyle soccer like AND1 streetball? that's what i do

You know you're getting better when your family and friend's start asking to see tricks more often.

When i worked in sales, it sucked. The boss pretty much wanted you to "pitch" sales points at people walking by to intrigue them. I hate being dishonest. It wasn't me. I took Olivero's path. was myself, started with normal or random questions (not related to the product) or just compliments.

But it is a number's game, in the sense that if you don't have your numbers( hours of performance for audiences) it will show you lack expiereince with audince interaction and performing. I don't go out a lot but when I do, I'm prepared to do magic and look for the oportune moment that it would be best presentable. I'm not pushing it on people cuz, it use to be my style when i was inexpierenced, when i'm with someon or a group of people, they know i might be performing for someone new.

I was eager to perform, but, in becoming a profesional (Im not pro) in whatever, I learned quality should play a strong role in our work.

Which is why I hate the radio (Mainstream music). lol RANT

Good luck.

"No pressure, no diamonds."
Thomas Carlyle. Philosopher, 1795-1881

"I believe that true focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity."
Charles Xavier
ouncesmusic is offline   Reply With Quote