Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubmagician View Post
I actually have very little practice for most of my tricks, but I spend alot of time mastering sleights so when I perform a trick, it makes learning a future trick much easier. Now when I do a new trick I usually run through what patter I want to use, then when I perform I just wing it.Now this may not work for you, but for me it allows for me to use my own personality along with the trick without everything sounding like it's been rehearsed a million times. I know people can sense that. Even when I do tricks that I have done 1000's of times, I just make up stuff as I go along, Impromptu tricks and impromptu patter does wonders sometimes. Sometimes I may do an ACR for people and they pick a 2 of clubs and I may just come up with some stupid reason why that card is special and people beileve that it is indeed special just cause you say it is. But what I'm really trying to get at is rehearsing patter may make some people off as monotonous and that can be boring. This works for me and not everyone may agree, but adding something different everytime you perform may spice it up a notch.
Yup, depending on the style of performance of a magician, this can make or break a performance. So it's important to know what kind of a performer you really are too. However, in general, it's a good idea to have a routine planned out and also an idea of what the patter would be like if you aren't good at immediately coming up with a decent patter. This is personally me. Although I can sort of wing it, I need some kind of guidance to start in order to maximize the potentials of my performances.