Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
CrazyInMagic

Thanks for another thorough reply, TheSecretFire!

It indeed is not Mr. Miller’s fault that those supporters can’t think for themselves but it is troublesome that he supports and likes said behaviour and at no moment has cleared up the things he said. I am glad you also think that he should have. I think we are on the same page, just coming from other sides.

The fictional facts section is something I care about. Because he states those things as hard facts people might and often will take these as hard facts. For someone who often bashes others based on "the truth" and who continuously says he does not care about how people take things but how things truly are to spread fictional facts I think is worrying and worth discussing. Especially when this person causes hate towards several individuals and groups of people. We all know what this has led to in the past.

I will not say much about product-specific issues. I think that using existing things for new applications is no crime. I do think that claiming anything that has obviously been done before is, like with the Silky Change, Creation Change and Ascension by Ric Edgell to name a few.

I am a bit lost by how you think you should act the way you want to be remembered but then think a magician doing obscene things is a disgrace to the art while it might be his character and the way he wants to be remembered. The problem I have with Mr. Miller’s foul language is that back in the day he didn’t use foul language in his videos and he doesn’t use foul language when working with any other company either, but in the videos he sells on his current website he does while from the outside not much has changed and people who have gotten to his website because of other or older releases might not expect it. They have absolutely no reason to. The uncensored reviews don’t clear it up either because those are not even Mr. Miller’s own words.

The torrenting just adds to the topic as a whole. If you can’t pay for something at a given moment, you can’t have it at that moment. That is how it is. He basically said that stealing anything is the right thing to do as long as you go back to the store or person to pay for it later (if you even remember to do that in each and every case). He didn’t say he paid to make up for anything, he said it was the right thing to do, the correct approach to blatant piracy. It is also the same as saying "I am poor so I will steal things and the day I am rich I will pay for all of it." However, I think we have settled the torrenting already because no one here has agreed with Mr. Miller’s take on it.

This is not to disagree with what you said, TheSecretFire, just to verify how I see those things and why I think they are very worth posting and discussing. I am very pleased that you know what I am coming from and how you also think Mr. Miller should clear up the hate towards the industry. That is the main reason why I wrote the post anyways.

A twisted ethic
I feel like adding a twisted ethic Mr. Miller apparently has come up with. In the Dark Principle he ends up talking about The Crook by David Forrest and Lee Smith. They posted a video about this upcoming product about nine months before the Dark Principle even existed and the effect happens to look extremely similar. Mr. Miller ends up giving them a shout-out but no credits for this reason:
Quote:
Name of this game basically is that whoever publishes it first gets credit for it. That’s kinda the way it is. Good or bad, that’s the way it is.
-Justin Miller
Not to add that apparently he didn’t do proper research because he said he merely looked for the product and couldn’t find it. But if I post a performance video or a trailer of an upcoming product like in this case, he would be allowed to take and release it? No, that is not how it works and that is not the way it is. I am pretty sure that if I would do that to any of Mr. Miller’s original tricks, he would be furious. It would also mean every performer is forced to publish their entire repertoire and set, meaning they couldn’t perform these live anymore. Of course if it isn’t published someone could independently come up with the same idea and publish it, but any kind of evidence of earlier existence counts.
CrazyInMagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behaviour, enduremiller, exposure, justin miller