Magicians: The Gathering
Contact us Facebook Twitter YouTube
Go Back   Magicians: The Gathering > The Café > Magic Alert
Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 AM   #41
Fin

User channel on YouTube

No Albert, that's not arguable at all. I have always understood how important crediting is; I've made that pretty darn clear, in fact it was my eye for detail in the crediting of this move and the differences between it and similar moves that helped cause this whole debacle! I agree that Theory 11 needs to do more on the product page and I have never suggested otherwise, but I also think that if we have problems with what they do or how they do it, our time is better spent writing THEM an email rather than discussing our qualms in forums, because, as we have seen, if someone gets their facts wrong when making a strong criticism, specially a respected magician such as yourself, the results can be ugly. Yes, of course it is incredibly important that an influential company such as T11 "should make sure their products are not misleading, including the addition of credits", and similarly, if we are going to lead by example, then when criticising their practises we should be sure to get our facts straight. It's incredibly easy to mistakenly peddle in misinformation, as we have discovered in this little exercise!

Look at it this way.. When all was said and done, in these "T11 exposed" threads you are trying to help consumers make an informed choice, right? And to teach them about ethics along the way hopefully. Isn't this the point of these threads? A warning to possible purchasers that they should know what they're getting into when they buy with Theory 11? So now, for example, we have two innocent, uneducated noobs to magic. One sees the trailer and goes to the site, the other comes here. I think the one who just went to the site and saw the trailer would be much better off than someone who read this thread first, despite the problems that exist with crediting on the product page. The first person makes their decision based on the move, what it looks like, the price, etc, but doesn't get to see good crediting on the product page.. but hey, they get it in the tutorial. The second person is worried, angry, then confused by all the arguing in this thread and the actual importance of the move goes out the window, because its all about credits, ethics, who said what, where did it originate, who stole what? etc. My point? I'd rather be the first person and just get on with making my own choices and judgements, rather than the second guy, who came to this thread, and got a very blurry picture painted for him about the origin of the move. I know this wasn't done on purpose but it has happened nonetheless. The point is that the thread did more damage than good, whether you like it or not!! On that note, I think I've said more than enough on this subject so I'll leave it there.

Peace and love to all
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 AM   #42
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

Donor Score: 110
User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin View Post
No Albert, that's not arguable at all. I have always understood how important crediting is; I've made that pretty darn clear, in fact it was my eye for detail in the crediting of this move and the differences between it and similar moves that helped cause this whole debacle!
Okay, I'm going to break down what you said so I don't get confused. This we agree upon, that crediting is important, so Theory11 shouldn't leave it out, or delete it, like Mark has said. This was the purpose of the thread. I have no idea how this deviated to the crazy concept of "the move is similar to previous creations, so it's unethical to release it without credits" because that is is no way the purpose of the thread and that doesn't even make any sense at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
I agree that Theory 11 needs to do more on the product page and I have never suggested otherwise, but I also think that if we have problems with what they do or how they do it, our time is better spent writing THEM an email rather than discussing our qualms in forums, because, as we have seen, if someone gets their facts wrong when making a strong criticism, specially a respected magician such as yourself, the results can be ugly.
Well, Theory11 doesn't listen to use. Isn't that why we are so heated up in the conversation? Mark, I believe, has done tons to try and tell Theory11 what they are doing wrong. We barely see any changes. That's why we post them here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
Yes, of course it is incredibly important that an influential company such as T11 "should make sure their products are not misleading, including the addition of credits", and similarly, if we are going to lead by example, then when criticising their practises we should be sure to get our facts straight. It's incredibly easy to mistakenly peddle in misinformation, as we have discovered in this little exercise!
We sure have. That was the whole point of this thread and I believe my mistake has done a pretty damn decent job to prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
Look at it this way.. When all was said and done, in these "T11 exposed" threads you are trying to help consumers make an informed choice, right? And to teach them about ethics along the way hopefully. Isn't this the point of these threads? A warning to possible purchasers that they should know what they're getting into when they buy with Theory 11?
Yes, we agree on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
So now, for example, we have two innocent, uneducated noobs to magic. One sees the trailer and goes to the site, the other comes here. I think the one who just went to the site and saw the trailer would be much better off than someone who read this thread first, despite the problems that exist with crediting on the product page. The first person makes their decision based on the move, what it looks like, the price, etc, but doesn't get to see good crediting on the product page.. but hey, they get it in the tutorial.
Damn right! I completely see your point and have since the beginning. It seems like our debate has evolved into some quite different an issue we debated about before with GPS as the example. But remember, we didn't have issues with people who saw and bought the trick. They get the required in the purchase. Our concern is for those who don't buy it after they see the trailer. They are more prone to leaving with the wrong idea on the original creator after seeing no credits at all on the products page, except for Rick Lax as the instructor and 'creator' of the technique. That's where they possibly receive misinformation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
The second person is worried, angry, then confused by all the arguing in this thread and the actual importance of the move goes out the window, because its all about credits, ethics, who said what, where did it originate, who stole what? etc. My point? I'd rather be the first person and just get on with making my own choices and judgements, rather than the second guy, who came to this thread, and got a very blurry picture painted for him about the origin of the move.
Sure, this person will be confused and upset at the differences between the Bow-to-Stern, Blind Square, and HighRise in terms of technicalities. But I believe this thread has done more than enough to explain that HighRise is not an original move and that crediting should be done on the products page for the sake of those who DON'T buy the move. Regarding credits, this thread should have done more than enough. This debate evolved into something bigger after I mistakenly said 'slight variation', which I admitted several times and apologized for. That should be pretty clear, even to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fin
I know this wasn't done on purpose but it has happened nonetheless. The point is that the thread did more damage than good, whether you like it or not!! On that note, I think I've said more than enough on this subject so I'll leave it there.

Peace and love to all
I don't completely agree with the more damage than good, but I can definitely see the damage.

I'll also leave it at that. At least now, we know what the real problem is since it's been broken down. Whew~
Old 11-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #43
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

@ Albert. Can I ask why you should be so concerned about somebody deciding to buy or not to buy something from Theory11 or any other company? Don't you think Therory11 or any other company should be more concerned since it's their business, not yours?

A simple question...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #44
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
@ Albert. Can I ask why you should be so concerned about somebody deciding to buy or not to buy something from Theory11 or any other company? Don't you think Therory11 or any other company should be more concerned since it's their business, not yours?

A simple question...
I don't have any concern for it. I'm not sure whether I sounded like that or you understood it like that, but definitely not.

I'm concerned about people obtaining improper knowledge through misinformation, in which that happens through people seeing trailers, not buying the product, thus not obtaining the proper credits, and then learning falsely that a move is an original creation by another when it isn't.

Mark's example of the Invisible Palm was the perfect example. Up until Mark told me around last year, I thought the invisible palm was Wayne Houchin's as well. I never bought the product because I figured it out, thus, not obtaining proper credits into my knowledge bank (given that they do provide it in the video, which I have no idea if they do or not).

I hope that answers the questions.

If you are wondering why I'm concerned about people learning things correctly, I don't know why I do it. I just want people to not learn things incorrectly when they should be and have the capability to. For example, that's what my whole channel was about when I created it and it still is. I want people to learn all the small details that helped me when learning things, which others usually don't teach in a YouTube tutorial video. This way, people don't perform things stupidly and expose it in performances through failing. I'm starting to go off topic again...
Old 11-25-2011, 05:53 PM   #45
Mark

User channel on YouTube

I think 'GPS' is an excellent example for that too. Until very recently, Theory11 said the term 'impromptu' is completely based on a personal definition of the word. I can tell you that whoever bought 'GPS' when it still said it was impromptu (which it has for over two years till the statement was removed) and who would demand a refund and wouldn't get it, could sue Theory11 and win the case without a single doubt.

We are concerned about the art, not about who buys what and where. We strive to a clean and ethical art. If anyone would be non-crediting or be crediting whoever and use terms in whatever way they want, there is no meaning to either crediting or using such terms at all. They merely do it because it looks and sounds cool (or it doesn't, apparently, in case of credits).

And yes, Fin, I have had contact with Theory11 personally before posting anything.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #46
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

I kind of understand what idea you are trying to put across but it's a very twisted logic. The part where you say: "people seeing the trailer, not buying the product", should stop right there. I thinks it more likely that the person not buying the product doesn't like the look of the move, not because of the lack of crediting.

I think it's important too that people learn their sleights correctly - and I'm sure that by what Fin says, when someone buys the method to "High Rise", they will learn it correctly.

Another question.
Out of the following, which would you say is more important or more of a concern to your future personal success as a magician, not to the history of magic as an art form:

[1] Magic companies giving the right credit where it is due and where necessary.
[2] Cheap exposure in general.

I know it's kind of off topic but still relative nonetheless.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 AM   #47
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal View Post
I kind of understand what idea you are trying to put across but it's a very twisted logic. The part where you say: "people seeing the trailer, not buying the product", should stop right there. I thinks it more likely that the person not buying the product doesn't like the look of the move, not because of the lack of crediting.
I'm extremely confused at your question because I'm NOT saying that one shouldn't buy tricks because they don't put credits on the product page. I never said and never will say that because that's stupid.

Just so that you won't be confused, I'll try to make it as clear as possible: I'm saying that credits due should be given on the products page, not hidden or deleted. This has NOTHING to do with one buying the product or not. I'm concerned for people who mistakenly learn the credits of a move with an older origin wrongly and this happens for those who don't buy the product because they don't have access to the credits (at least for most people). There's no twisted logic there. Crediting someone due and teaching people the correct history of it is respect towards the original creators or contributors.

The "people seeing the trailer, not buying the product" is a scenario where misinformation is commonly occurred. That's why I gave that example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal
I think it's important too that people learn their sleights correctly - and I'm sure that by what Fin says, when someone buys the method to "High Rise", they will learn it correctly.
Going off track again
I never disagreed with this and me doing so will be hypocritical and stupid. Learning moves correctly is what my whole channel is about. There is a humongous confusion right now on what the real topic of concern is. This is a completely different matter that entered the thread here for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommySteal
Another question.
Out of the following, which would you say is more important or more of a concern to your future personal success as a magician, not to the history of magic as an art form:

[1] Magic companies giving the right credit where it is due and where necessary.
[2] Cheap exposure in general.

I know it's kind of off topic but still relative nonetheless.
For my personal success as a magician, I would say number 1: right credits.

With the correct credits readily available, it does 3 things beneficial to me:
(1) I would be able to find the correct sources of origin if I was really interested, it would provide me with correct and better knowledge for future references to help people out, and learn the moves from the original sources, which could be an extremely valuable learning experience.
(2) Only those who are ready to spend time and effort into learning the secrets of a trick will search for the sources. In other words, laymen wouldn't bother further into going into the history of magic because that's boring for them. That way, exposure isn't as readily available and the art would still be relatively well hidden from laymen.
(3) If people learn the correct sources, I could learn about it from another if I know it differently. For example, I recently purchased Shin Lim's Splice from Vanishing Inc. to see the various applications he had come up with the move. In there, he gives references to the wrong moves/credits regarding Splice, and the most commonly mistaken credits at that. Even through video purchases, wrong credits were given, which was terrible in my opinion in one's learning experience. If I was new at magic and learned Splice's credits wrongly, at least someone who knew better could then help me out in the future, right?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #48
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
This debate evolved into something bigger after I mistakenly said 'slight variation', which I admitted several times and apologized for. That should be pretty clear, even to you.
Just to be clear on that, it certainly wasn't a mere suggestion of a "slight variation" that made me feel I had to go "off-topic" in pointing out the differentces between the BTS and High Rise. I was actually only talking about the trailer until you said the following:

Quote:
Rick Lax knew very well that this is called the Bow-to-Stern Control. Knowing that, it has been renamed HighRise and from now on, it will be known as HighRise by 99% of the people.......Fin, imagine someone took a song of yours you composed, switched a few notes around, put it up or down an octave, and switched your Rondo form of ABCBA and turned it into a Ternary form of ABA. Then renamed it, claiming it as his........ That's the situation here.
It was that which prompted this. The only thing that lead this thread astray was your improper crediting. And I know you have admitted and apologised to that, and I wish I didn't have to bring it up again, but this did not happen because all you said was that it was a "slight variation", and that should be pretty clear, even to you.

I hope nobody think's this is about me just picking on Albert. I love Albert,.. Albert, I hope you can see this; I have as much respect for you as ever. This is not a personal thing. This is, indeed, about getting the credit's right, and I saw the wrong picture being painted of Mr Lax and the move so I saw the need to correct that, regardless of who may have been saying it.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:09 PM   #49
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Just to be clear on that, it certainly wasn't a mere suggestion of a "slight variation" that made me feel I had to go "off-topic" in pointing out the differentces between the BTS and High Rise.
Finny Finny Fin Fin~

Yes, I did suggest a mere slight variation. When I said that Rick Lax knew that it was the Bow-to-Stern Control and that it was renamed to HighRise, I called that inappropriate because I assumed only a slight variation. From the trailer, the positioning of the fingers looked pretty damn similar to the original BtS from what I could remember. I'll check my book again now. But regardless, yes, through that, I did suggest a mere slight variation. If it was very different, I wouldn't have called the renaming inappropriate, now would I?

Quite funny how we are arguing about why I am wrong!
Old 11-26-2011, 06:29 PM   #50
TommySteal
Tom

User channel on YouTube

You misunderstood me, i never said that either. I was only making the point that most people care more about esthetics than bad crediting when purchasing something.

I also never said you disagreed with me on people learning their sleights correctly. On the contrary, I was agreeing with you about this, only I was also trying to convey, without actually saying because I didn't want to appear rude, that this is in fact probably more worthy of debate.

Interesting you chose number [1], personally I would have gone for number [2].

What I mean by cheap exposure is people in any public domain, claiming to be magicians and revealing methods for reasons that I can't answer. These people no nothing about the magicians oath, whereby one should never reveal the method either outright or through lack of practice etc.
Okay, maybe "personal success" is fairly strong, but look at the MASKED MAGICIAN giving away secrets for nothing. Surely this has an effect on a magicians success, maybe not you personally, but if everyone knew the secrets there would be no magic and much worse, if magic was how you made a living... That's why I'd go for number [2].
Old 11-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #51
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Just highlighting what I reacted to Albert, the sentences I put in bold being the main bits. I never suggested you didn't say "slight variation", but briefly looking back I can't actually see where you did use those words.. did you use those words? However thats not my point. Whether you did or not I'm just talking about what parts you did say which I thought was way off the mark, and which is what took me off-topic, away from the trailer and product page debate Had you only said it was a slight variation I would have totally understood but we all know you went further than that and THAT is what I was reacting to.
When anyone says "Rick Lax knew that it was the Bow-to-Stern Control and that it was renamed to HighRise", and "renamed it, claiming it as his........ That's the situation here", those are very black & white claims. They don't look like that person is "assuming" anything. They look like he knows, yet they are not correct. The BTS IS NOT the High Rise. And Rick has NOT renamed it, claiming it as his. "Slight variation"? Whatever! I have made it clear several times what prompted this, and it wasn't talk of a slight anything.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #52
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Just highlighting what I reacted to Albert, the sentences I put in bold being the main bits. I never suggested you didn't say "slight variation", but briefly looking back I can't actually see where you did use those words.. did you use those words? However thats not my point. Whether you did or not I'm just talking about what parts you did say which I thought was way off the mark, and which is what took me off-topic, away from the trailer and product page debate Had you only said it was a slight variation I would have totally understood but we all know you went further than that and THAT is what I was reacting to.
When anyone says "Rick Lax knew that it was the Bow-to-Stern Control and that it was renamed to HighRise", and "renamed it, claiming it as his........ That's the situation here", those are very black & white claims. They don't look like that person is "assuming" anything. They look like he knows, yet they are not correct. The BTS IS NOT the High Rise. And Rick has NOT renamed it, claiming it as his. "Slight variation"? Whatever! I have made it clear several times what prompted this, and it wasn't talk of a slight anything.
Fin, I'm sorry, but this is getting really irritating. For one, I didn't explicitly say the word, but I described it enough to communicate that and even Cris understood it that way (in the last paragraph of his 1st post).

Secondly, I clearly said 'For those who know Ernest's control, we can say "Oh, Rick made some improvements on Ernest's Move."' That is pretty much true. That suggests I implied 'slight variation'. I even purchased HighRise yesterday for the sake of this thread and to compare it with the BTS. Honestly, I personally think there isn't as excessive of a difference as you claimed for the fact that the secret move is more exaggerated than the original. The core principle is kept the same and the finger positioning of the right hand for the first bit is the main difference. Sure, it's enough to allow him to rename it as something quite different, but the difference isn't so big.

Lastly, the use of the music situation to say "renamed it, claiming it as his" was explicit to that certain situation. That can be clearly understood by the fact that I knew Rick gave credits in the actual video, which proves that he didn't claim it as his. I'm not stupid enough to not realize that. It was to exemplify that people who don't purchase the products and see the credits will understand it like that.

Seriously, I thought that this topic on the matter of me saying slight variation or not has been quite solved and I didn't bother expanding on it to keep things on track as well. Well, is it now?
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 AM   #53
Fin

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
This debate evolved into something bigger after I mistakenly said 'slight variation', which I admitted several times and apologized for. That should be pretty clear, even to you.
see, you really wanna try to be accurate, especially when quoting yourself! Or else it looks like you're confusing things yet again. You even put 'slight variation' in quotations, strongly implying that you actually said that, and that this is all it was that started the drama, just one innocent mention of a "slight variation"; not really misleading at all, if that were the case, but it wasn't..

Then...
Quote:
I didn't explicitly say the word, but I described it enough to communicate that
Surprise, surprise! Well as long as that's cleared up then. You didn't actually say it was a slight variation but we should have known you meant that Silly me! And when you said something so clear as "Rick Lax knew very well that this is called the Bow-to-Stern Control", why would anyone be confused and think you meant there was no difference between his move and the BTS?

"That is pretty much true. That suggests I implied 'slight variation'."

Well, that's nice and clear. You wouldn't make a good lawyer. You see, I ain't a mind reader and to me all you communicated was a confusing picture about the move and made a couple of misleading statements. If you don't believe that they were misleading then there's not much more to be said.

----
Ps. I don't want to irritate anyone by holding them to account for what was actually said, (rather than suggested or implied), so I'll leave this mantra as my final contribution to this thread:

"Crediting is very important! Be sure to always get your facts straight when talking about crediting, especially when criticising others, about crediting!!"
Old 11-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #54
Albert
DarkSleightZ Artist

User channel on YouTube

Well, if they were misleading, then I apologize. That was definitely not my intention at all. I had a strong belief that the moves were quite similar, so I made statements that implied slight variation. As for me claiming to say "slight variation," that was my mistake as I truly thought I did say that (seems like I didn't! )

My memory fails me more so than I thought... Regardless, your words "Crediting is very important! Be sure to always get your facts straight when talking about crediting, especially when criticising others, about crediting!!" is the whole point of this thread and thank you for saying that. Let's leave this at that. Continuing to argue will benefit no one at this point, especially as the whole point of this thread is clearly stated.

Still friends Fin?
Old 11-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #55
Fin

User channel on YouTube

You know me.. Any excuse for a group hug dude Like I said, this ain't personal. Anyway, that hug Trav, honey, where are you?
Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #56
Travmang
Pharaoh of Magicianry

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

Oops my bad I was off hugging my Halo friends. But who are we kidding, I like my magic friends better!
Travmang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #57
Mark

User channel on YouTube

This update goes a little back in time but I only just saw this video Theory11 made for the USPCC on Bee playing cards. It TOTALLY misrepresents these cards and I came to realize that all of Theory11's USPCC trailers are basically the same, leaving a very dirty mark at the biggest playing card company in the world:

Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #58
MysteryHand
Card Player with Mystery

User channel on YouTube

High Rise and GPS i have all. I don't know the method to do Bow-to-Stern Control. GPS is not impromptu like Mark said and High Rise is some thing you can know
MysteryHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #59
theheron

Donor Score: 50
User channel on YouTube

Weren't Bees made for gambling, and casinos, not cardistry?
Old 11-29-2011, 03:30 PM   #60
Mark

User channel on YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheron View Post
Weren't Bees made for gambling, and casinos, not cardistry?
Indeed. This is nuts, and they are getting paid for it too. If I were the USPCC I wouldn't pay them a single dime for a trailer that's this off-topic, no matter how professional it looks. They could and should have asked Jason England for it, and it's a shame they didn't because they got access to him too.